• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blue ekkies!

Coldbreeze

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alana
So not that this is happening soon but if I DID want to add another bird to my flock I believe I'd want a Ekkie. I've been doing research and seeing how much they go for around my area. Low 1k to over 2k. But some days I find the rare mutation of the blue ekkie (I've only seen females) that go for 20k-25k and I'm in such shock! I could rent myself a good apartment or get myself a car with that much money! Do people actually pay that much?

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I can't imagine paying that much! But like the saying goes "something is only worth what people are willing to pay for it"! Little Zazu may have to win the lottery and then buy his own blue ekkie for a pet!

Coldbreeze

Real Name
Alana
The males are absolutely stunning, I think.

But that price tag. Holy cow. If I had that kind of money, I'd rather it go into spoiling a bird than purchasing one. :hilarious:

Holy cow. So friggin pretty. I've thought about dying my hair that color. Such a pretty teal!!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Do they look a bit photoshopped to anyone else? I'm curious if we have any members who have actually seen one or knows someone with one.
upload_2018-11-8_21-21-43.jpeg

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
They are a very rare recessive mutation, and yes, people do pay that much for them.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
So not that this is happening soon but if I DID want to add another bird to my flock I believe I'd want a Ekkie. I've been doing research and seeing how much they go for around my area. Low 1k to over 2k. But some days I find the rare mutation of the blue ekkie (I've only seen females) that go for 20k-25k and I'm in such shock! I could rent myself a good apartment or get myself a car with that much money! Do people actually pay that much?
The males are absolutely stunning, I think.

But that price tag. Holy cow. If I had that kind of money, I'd rather it go into spoiling a bird than purchasing one. :hilarious:
The ParrotStars store near me has a blue male and 2 or 3 blue females, absolutely gorgeous. $10k f/the male and $18k for a female. The females though are not the same vivid blue as the males, they're a darker slightly purplish and half gray.

Do they look a bit photoshopped to anyone else? I'm curious if we have any members who have actually seen one or knows someone with one.
View attachment 289759
That's a print - I know because I have it in the family room. The birds appear to be from left to right conures leading to macaws on the right. East Urban Home 'Rainbow Parrots' Graphic Art Print on Wrapped Canvas | Wayfair
Supposedly based on a photo but the colours aren't natural. This is the "photo" version - Trademark Art 'Rainbow Parrots' Photographic Print on Wrapped Canvas | Wayfair

They have one at a store not too far from me http://www.parrotstars.com/category-s/356.htm?searching=Y&sort=13&cat=356&show=30&page=3 but I've never been there. I wonder if @SandraK has seen him?
Yes, they're breathtaking!

Last edited:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow! Gorgeous bird!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
The ParrotStars store near me has a blue male and 2 or 3 blue females, absolutely gorgeous. $10k f/the male and $18k for a female. The females though are not the same vivid blue as the males, they're a darker slightly purplish and half gray.
I goofed on my post, the male was $20K NOT $10K.

Coldbreeze

Real Name
Alana
So incest started all this. Inbreeding is never good. My first cat, all white was inbred and died at 3 years old. Wad sick his whole entire life. :(

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Do we ever know our birds' breeding history exactly? I suppose that you could have siblings who have the same parents, the same mother OR the same father. The latter two could add a variance to the genes. I'm no geneticist but I'm thinking that if the siblings were bred w/other ekkies from different gene pools one might have blue ekkies though it would be hit-or-miss.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Yes, they're breathtaking!
Agreed!

I'd hate to have one as a companion bird...a bird like that might be an obvious target of theft...considering their beauty...

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
As far as I know, they're a simple recessive, so breeding a blue to a normal would produce hets.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Agreed!

I'd hate to have one as a companion bird...a bird like that might be an obvious target of theft...considering their beauty...
Milton just muttered "And what am I, chopped liver?"

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Agreed!

As I jokingly tell Fred - it costs more than some of the cars we've bought. ;)