• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blue Crown Conure acting very strange, "Playing?"

spixaraa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ava
Recently (past few months) my one year old BCC has been crawling up to my chin when im laying down, and putting up a foot for me to flip her over. She tries to do this several times a day, putting up her foot so that I can use my finger to turn her on her back, and then wiggling around, snapping at my finger, and grabbing at my hand with her feet. It's really odd and when I don't play along by tickling her her she gets up and starts to viciously attack my neck or hands. I usually try to ignore her because I don't want to condone any sexual behavior, but sometimes I'll tickle her feet or neck. Sometimes, if I'm tickling her, she'll get a hold of my finger and bite HARD. She's nippy but she doesn't really bite unless she's doing this weird playing thing. Sometimes it just seems like she wants attention but sometimes it's apparent from the beginning that she's out for blood- and when she starts getting aggressive I usually don't know what else to do but return her to her cage for the day.

My thought is that she is "sexually frustrated"... and partaking in this little game of hers is not a good idea. I just don't really know what to do to stop it because she'll get really aggressive.
My other thought is that her diet is unbalanced and is causing weird behavior...? She's fed fruit and veg in the mornings along with zupreem mixed with seeds (She won't eat zupreem on its own), and sometimes she'll get some rice or quinoa. I used to feed her "Birdie bread", but stopped due to a change in her feces.

Any advice or thoughts would be helpful. Thanks guys.

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Bump!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
My first though, is to stop this interaction if the results are negative.
I'd not return her to her cage, but perhaps a stand and you go about your business.
You're removing yourself will stop the behavior. She'll likely miss if for a time, but offer foot toys for her to play with.
You can also use this together time to teach/train her to do small tricks.
Most behavior problems can be resolved to a large degree, by removing, or changing up the behavior that leads to it.

And yes, I agree it could be hormones, it may also just be a bird that has become over stimulated with play.