• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blue and White macaws any info?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
If it seems to good to be true it probably us...Heard of a rare blue white macaw...there are a few rare ones around but they are not going to be offered to the public yet...least not at chicken feed prices

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
The first picture that shows two birds in an aviary.... those are Catalina macaws. They do look like B&G's but the one on left has a scarlet beak showing through and the one on right is far too "white" for a regular B&G. I'd like to know who decided to cross a blue scarlet with a blue blue and gold. (not the first time I've seen these hybrids... might be same birds?)

The middle picture is a blue blue and gold macaw.

The third picture, the "whitest" bird, is a blue opaline blue and gold macaw. May also be known as "silver" mutation... but I've also seen "silver" used for the blue mutation scarlet macaw or just a regular blue mutation blue and gold.

Anyone have any experience with this mutation?
I don't know their current going price, but I would imagine easily in the $10,000 to $30,000 range. I think they are at least within the price range of a hyacinth macaw. Therefore, it's rare for a standard pet owner to have one of these birds. As has been pointed out, this website is a scam.

Anyone know of any health problems this mutation is prone to?
Haven't heard of any thus far, but it is a relatively new mutation, so to speak. It's quite possible to have been around for 10+ years, but hardly available to the general public.

Anyone know of any personality traits this mutation is known for?
Refer to previous response. Likely the same as their non-mutation counterparts.

I’d check with an avian genetics exert. Blue and white macaws ... doesn’t sound right. Price is so low for a “rare” mutation. I’d be very skeptical. I’m no expert, but have been involved with dog genetics and would really want to know if macaws even carry a blue color gene.
"Blue and white" may very well be easier than saying "blue blue and gold"... and the bird is no longer "gold" therefore it could easily be called "blue and white" instead. Some other examples of blue mutations with different names....

Whiteface cockatiel
Whitetailed african grey

Galahs/RB2's may also be called "white and grey" cockatoo when they show the blue mutation.

As stated previously, the first two pictures are hybrids of a blue scarlet macaw and a blue blue and gold... probably multi-gen hybrids at that! so blue mutation macaws do indeed exist!