• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Blue and golden macaw urgent help plzz

zbaig

Checking out the neighborhood
It's looks to me like a very bad bruise. Did he take a fall? How is he eating?
Nope he didn't fall but he tends to play rough. He is normal and eating normally as well. In the morning the it was grey but turned red after an hour.What should I do to help him?

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Honestly I don't know if I would do anything other than keep an eye on him. I suppose you could try a cold compress for a few minutes then off for awhile, then on for a few minutes then off again, etc.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
If it were my bird and I was not sure of the cause I would take him into a vet. Beaks and jaws can be very painful and sometimes its hard to see a crack in the beak. They will look him over and even if nothing else at least give him some pain medicine. My scarlet did the same thing and it swelled worse before it got better.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
The grey color could have been blood under the skin that now is coming up. It looks like a bruise. Could a toy pinched that, cage door? etc. It is the kind of thing if I had seen here we would be at our Avian Vet having it seen period. If it does not look normal and you have no idea how that happened then I really think you need to get that checked out just to ease your own mind.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Bruising on the soft part of a macaw face looks terrible but heals and disappears quickly. •Yes, a toy could to that. • Holding a bird for exam or grooming could do this also if held too tight. •Look at his beak and see if there are any cracks as Sarah suggested. •Cracks can split further and catching the problem early can prevent the crack from extending further. • For future, macaws also get "acne" which are little raised red areas. •They heal quickly also.

zbaig

Thank you everyone for replying and I am taking him to the vet tomorrow. The redness has decreased around the area.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Oh good. Just make sure he is eating well maybe some soft foods will help if he has any pain. You can even soak pellets in some water to make them soft for him. Poor guy. Maui's bruise took about a week to look better but he had no problems eating or destroying stuff.

:hug8::hug8::hug8:

zbaig

haha..Thank you for your help, Rio is doing much better now!!:):hug8: