• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Blue and Gold McCaw Sick..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I'm so happy he's doing better!!

Cheese is one of those things that I think is controversial and depends on who you ask. I have a healthy bird cookbook, and it was backed by a well-known vet and it states that if you give any cheese, to make it white cheese. Apparently those naturally contain less lactose than the yellow cheeses. Tango is a total cheese head, and he will do anything for it. So if he's being stubborn and I need him to comply (daily for this butthead :), the cheese comes out, but I give him like a fingertip size morsel just so he gets a taste. Then everyone wins! Not truely a part of his diet since it's practically a speck, and my little cheese addict did what I want him to.

cavinriddle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cavin
Sunday Update

Well things have went pretty well today. We have been trying to keep him from flying b/c the Vet suggested it. Well having a bird that loves to fly trying to keeping him from doing that is kinda hard plus its a blessing to us to see he even wants to now after this week.. Well his attempt from the living room to the Kitchen was successful. :dancing: A little rough on the landing but he landed.. His Mom was cleaning his cage and I was trying to keep him with me and I needed to go to the rest room and well he decided to take that opportunity to go back to his cage. But anyways everything is still going good. Not much talking yet but I figure in some ways that is good. A little piece an quiet for a little while. :hehe: Again thanks for all the help an suggestions. I will keep everyone updated as time goes by..

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
She is 15, I don't know why she doesn't ???
She will only fly if startled.

Ranyart

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pennie
I've been following this thread and am so glad to hear Stitch is getting better and better. Cavin and Mrs. Riddle - you guys did a great job in very difficult circumstances. Kudos! and Happy New Year!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Danita, remember when Kiwi went on her great adventure and scared you two completely to death?

My Jasper is like that and has taken off to parts yonder a few times. My bad. Hank on the other hand has to be forced to fly. Every bird is different.
ML

cavinriddle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cavin
Well Stitch went on a flying journey two springs ago. My little girl opened the door and was sitting at the back door saying Stitch Gone Stitch Gone. I spent 4 1/2 hours in the woods wearing him down till I got him to land on the ground. He was waaaaaay up in the trees. I had to throw sticks at him to startle him to get him to fly hoping that he would come down. I would hit the branch below him so i would not hit him. Thats all I needed was to hit him and him fall.. Finally after watching him take off and losing him when got so high I thought to myself "He's Gone for good now" I kept hollowing for him and he circled back and thats when he went to the ground.. I was so tired and he was too.. It was at least 3/4 of a mile from the house where he finally landed so I could get him.. It was a long walk home up and down hills. One hill I had to sit down an slide down b/c I was scared that with him I might lose my balance and fall and then here we go again or worse I would have dropped him. But as you can see he came home safely. Yea i know your saying why didn't you clip his wings. Well we was told he would be a happier bird with none clipped wings.. So when we go back after talking to the vet about that we are going to clip them some.. He just loves to fly I hate to do it to him.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
With a modified clip he can still fly, he just won't be able to do a world tour.
ML

Ashley

Real Name
Ashley
i just do a modified clip with everyone accept my cockatoo ...I have to cut my cockatoo's to keep his attitude inline

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Cavin, like ML said, my Kiwi took off one day too. A bird that never flies, took off.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
great news Cavin that he is on the way to getting better..whewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

cavinriddle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cavin
Well today is good. He told me hello when I got home and was ready to get out of his cage. So things are just about back to normal. I just hope the screaming when he doesn't get his way doesn't come back.. LOL

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That's great news.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Im so happy he is doing better!

He just loves to fly I hate to do it to him.

Good news! You do not have to clip him! Just make sure to prevent any mishaps from happening. I repeat YOU DO NOT HAVE TO CLIP HIM. We have a flying area, here:

The Airport - Avian Avenue Parrot & Other Birds Message Board

All of my birds are NOT clipped! And I also would never do it to them, they love to fly, even the ones who do not do it very often, deserve the chance for when they want to :)

Most vets are pro clipping, and they will always suggest it and sometimes go behind you back and sneak a clip in. Even my 2 GREAT avian vets are pro clip :(

Being an avian vet doesnt make you the smartest bird person in the world of birds, just as an FYI :) With further research you can find out all the info on controversy topics (like diet, clipping, caging, housing, etc etc etc)

With a modified clip he can still fly, he just won't be able to do a world tour.
ML
Once a bird gets outside, even with a modified clip, they can fly off. Even with a modified clip on a large macaw, they are less likely to be able to fly indoors.

Last edited:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Well Stitch went on a flying journey two springs ago. My little girl opened the door and was sitting at the back door saying Stitch Gone Stitch Gone. I spent 4 1/2 hours in the woods wearing him down till I got him to land on the ground. He was waaaaaay up in the trees. I had to throw sticks at him to startle him to get him to fly hoping that he would come down. I would hit the branch below him so i would not hit him. Thats all I needed was to hit him and him fall.. Finally after watching him take off and losing him when got so high I thought to myself "He's Gone for good now" I kept hollowing for him and he circled back and that's when he went to the ground.. I was so tired and he was too.. It was at least 3/4 of a mile from the house where he finally landed so I could get him.. It was a long walk home up and down hills. One hill I had to sit down an slide down b/c I was scared that with him I might lose my balance and fall and then here we go again or worse I would have dropped him. But as you can see he came home safely. Yea i know your saying why didn't you clip his wings. Well we was told he would be a happier bird with none clipped wings.. So when we go back after talking to the vet about that we are going to clip them some.. He just loves to fly I hate to do it to him.
LOL, I also had Sammy, B&G, gift from Poppa to me for our wedding, fly off my shoulder when I was outside....he too had never flown and the wind caught him and off he went! Beautiful sight to see BUT he flew into the woods down the hill from the house!!!!! I kept him in sight as he was flying and as my daughter pulled up in the car, I was headed into the woods to chase after Sammy, I yelled to her to get the Bow saw! Well Sammy ended up in the yard on the other side of the woods in a tree about 24 ft up ....I started cutting the tree down!!! The owner came out and wanted to know what I was doing....
Getting my bird I replied and pointed up in the tree!!!!
The tree was about 8 inch thick and I was able to bring it down with Sammy still in the top and he stayed with the tree and then I took off my jacket and threw it around him and thank the guy and left!...Sammy never road on my shoulder outside again!!!!:rofl:
Too scared it would happen again and this time not get him back!...yes, they fly in the house in their rooms when they want too...but most of the time they would rather walk to where they want to go!!!:hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
BF....:rofl: You could write a book of your adventures..:hug8: You are something else! :dance4::lol:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Pat, if you only knew!:rofl::rofl::rofl::p

Status
Not open for further replies.