• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Blue and Gold McCaw Sick..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Good to hear that Stitch is improving. Keep up the good nursing care. You and your family can enjoy Xmas day a little more now.
ML

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Good news. He was in my prayers last night.

Ginger

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
So happy he's improving!!! :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Ive been following this thread and Im glad Stich is doing better!

It's great he is improving, but I would keep him cage much warmer than usual. He needs to conserve energy. A heating pad or something will help.

The only thing you need to worry about with a heating pad is it can over heat.

cavinriddle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cavin
Well we came in tonite and he was even more perkier. I gave him a piece of cheese and he grabbed it out of my hand. I watched him after putting a fresh bowl of water and he took several dranks.. So I am thinking it was from the spill he took at the first of the week. Yes we are still going to call the vet first thing in the morning..

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
That is wonderful he's feeling perkier!!! :dance4:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Been anxiously following this thread and so pleased that there is some improvement with him. Hope he will still be seen by a Vet as it is important to rule out any permanent injury or damage. Birds can sometimes show signs of vast improvement before going downhill rapidly. Better to be safe than sorry. Good luck.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Glad Stitch is perking up. It is still imperitive that you take him into the vet today. Like Ann said, sometimes birds, like people, will show improvement and then decline rapidly. He could have internal injuries from his fall. It is better to take him to the vet and find out nothing is wrong then not take him and regret it later. Will keep checking this post thru out the day. My prayers are with you all and Stitch.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
That's such good news. I'm glad he's looking better. Hope you get good news at the vet also.

cavinriddle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cavin
We called the Vet that Tracie found that is close to us and well they do see birds but only to do trims and wing clips.. So here we go again with trying to find one. I guess we will have to call one in Nashville. This is ridiculous on Avian vets. I think all vets should learn about the birds also.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Cavin there were several vets listed in this thread. Did you look at all of them and call?

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
I dont' know your area, but are either of these possibilities;

[SIZE=+1]Tennessee[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Knoxville, TN - Cheryl B. Greenacre (Univ of TN) - 865-974-5723
Knoxville, TN - Michael P. Jones (Univ of TN) - 865-974-5576
[/SIZE]

Ashley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
Tracie thats about 4 hours away....I just seen Cavin on Facebook and they are taking him to Nashville to a vet there ...so hopefully he will give us an update when they get back...or I will message Cavin and see how everything is

cavinriddle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cavin
Hello Bird lovers,

Just got home and settle down Stitch DR'ed and Fed. We had finally got hold of a Vet in Nashville Priest Lake Animal hospital. They said they are sure Stitches problems were due to the fall.They gave him anti-inflammatory and some good bacteria to put on his food for the stress. Dr.OLLIS was the dr we saw. She is formerly the avian vet for the Knoxville Zoo. Amazing woman. I will take him back there for all of his needs!!! I really want to thank everyone on here that has help us in this time of need.. No one really understands unless you have a Bird. So thats why I am glad that I found this site. MissBird special thanks to you for sending me here. This Vet will be now our HOME for a vet. They are wonderful..

cavinriddle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cavin
Cavin there were several vets listed in this thread. Did you look at all of them and call?
You don't know how much we did call. We have been on the fone most of the weekend trying to find a good vet. But like I said in the above post we finally found one. They are few and far between in my area. If you have one close to you feel lucky.

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
Oh what great news Cavin. I just logged in to check on you and Stitch! So glad he is on the way to being a mischievious macaw again! So glad you and Stitch joined us and I am looking forward to hearing more about him. I am so happy you finally found a good vet you are comfortable with. I know it has been exhausting.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Cavin, I'm so glad you found out what the problem is. When you don't know it's so hard, but when you do, you know how to fight. Finding a good vet that you trust is very comforting - you feel that you can get help.

Watch him closely for signs of breathing problems. Sometimes with ruptured air sacs you will see that. If you do see breathing problems call your vet right away, because it could be an infection in the air sacs.

Get some rest and Merry Xmas to all of you.
ML

cavinriddle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cavin
Now we just got to get him a new cage. The one he's got is about had it.. LOL I am just hoping he gets back to his normal self before long. We bought him some new food that the Vet recommended b/c she thinks he is eating to much nuts and not getting enough Nutrients. Which he eats with us when we eat and what ever we eat. But she said he was hydrated really good too so my wife got him Hydrated good to keep him going till time for the vet. We go back to the Vet in 2 weeks for a check up.

Status
Not open for further replies.