• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Blue and Gold McCaw Sick..

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavinriddle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cavin
Friend of mine told me about this site b/c I mentioned on FB my Blue and Gold was sick. I tried calling Vet and she is out of town. Heres the problem. Woke up this morning and Stitch (B&G) couldn't hold his self up good and my wife started feeding him some orange juice with a dropper. He got a little better but he still seems sick. He seems to be improving but don't know for sure. I bought a heat lamp and we have continued to feed him juice through a dropper. He is 5 yrs old and this happened all of a sudden. Anyone have any idea what it could be. No vets will be in office till Monday.. plz help...

Parrotlove

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Barbie
Has he had any falls??? been fed anything diff?? Is he making any strange noises??

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
Does his voice sound different or funny? Are his poops runny or smelly? He needs to be kept hydrated and warm.

cavinriddle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cavin
He landed wrong Monday but was acting ok afterwards. Other than out of the ordinary food he was fed a sweet potatoe. But he has eat sweet potatoes before but its been awhile..

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
There are so many different reasons for a sudden change like this that I'm not sure how much we can help you here without more information, and even then this is a case for a vet. Can you give us a location? I'm sure we can help you find a vet that will be in office sooner than Monday.

cavinriddle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cavin
He hasn't made any noises all day.. Poop is runny.. But I figured it was from all the Juice we has given him..

cavinriddle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cavin
He wants to lay his head down on your chest. Which he is moving around a little more. but still wants to just lay around..

Parrotlove

Real Name
Barbie
I know he should be seen by a vet. Keeping him hydrated and warm is a must. Look on the internet for a avian vets and call until you find one thats open you may have to travel a little bit farther than your used to but its worth it to get to the bottom of it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
OK Cavin, it sounds like your bird is sick and the very best solution is to get him to a vet as soon as possible. In the mean time give him heavy duty supportive care. Keep him warm between 85-90F, keep him quiet. He will need all of his energy to fight the illness. Make sure he is drinking and if necessary give him fluids by syringe. 50% water and 50% plain pedialite is great. Dehydration is quite dangerous. If you have apple cider vinegar a few drops in the fluids will help control any fungus infection.
ML

Parrotlove

Real Name
Barbie
Tennessee

Avian Medical Services, Inc. - Mobile avian veterinary and consolatory practice, servicing Kentucky, Indiana & Tennessee
Collierville:
Shannon McGee, D.V.M. - Collierville Animal Hospital
474 West Highway 72, Collierville, TN 38117 - Tel. (901) 853-8519
Knoxville:
University of Tennessee - College of Veterinary Medicine - Exotic Pet Clinic
2407 River Drive, Knoxville, TN 37916 - (865) 974-5667
Maryville:
Dr. Rosemary Jones
324 North Washington Street, Maryville, TN 37804 - Tel. (423) 681-8431
Nashville:
Dr. Lutz - West Mead Vet Clinic
990 Davidson Drive, Nashville, TN 37205 - Tel. (615) 356-1152

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
He hasn't made any noises all day.. Poop is runny.. But I figured it was from all the Juice we has given him..
If it was my bird, I would stop the juice and try handfeeding formula for Macaws if he is not eating enough of his regular foods. I would get the ambient temp. all around him up to approx. 85 degrees around the clock, may need to do that a bit slowly over a number of hrs. if he is acclimated already to much cooler temps. I would keep a 7 watt night light on for him so he can access water and food at will. I would keep many of his favorite food items in the cage (hopefully you are using a good sized cage). Sometimes best to take perches down temporarily and set food in a bowl on the bottom and water in a shallow bowl for easy access. Be extremely careful when putting any liquids into his mouth as aspiration can easily occur if done wrong. Keep the cage in a quiet stress free area (for now) unless you think doing that will cause more stress than keeping him in the same location that he is already used to?

As was already advised, best to see an avian vet asap, even if that means a few hrs. drive - if possible. Do the above while waiting to get to the vet. Good luck.

Last edited:

Parrotlove

Real Name
Barbie
1890 North Germantown Parkway #103
Cordova, Tennessee 38016
Phone: 901.756.5556

This is a avian and animal hospital I found I would think it would be open 24hours

cavinriddle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cavin
All these vets are already closed... Most are 4 hours away. Trying to find someone a little closer if possible. Plus tomorrow is chirstmas eve so I don't know if they will be open... I am still trying thanks for all your help.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
If you can call around and find a vet open, I would do so...He could have internal injuries from landing wrong...when did this happen? Sorry just re read and saw this happened Monday!
What type of heat lamp did you buy? Some of them have Teflon and that will kill a bird...
Keeping him warm and quiet at this time is very important and hydrated....:hug8:

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
All these vets are already closed... Most are 4 hours away. Trying to find someone a little closer if possible. Plus tomorrow is chirstmas eve so I don't know if they will be open... I am still trying thanks for all your help.
Many avian vets have an answering service after regular business hrs. and they can be reached wherever that way. Some will even go into the office (at any hr.) especially for you if need be - of course that will cost you extra. Some of them will even come to your home, that will cost extra too, maybe a lot.

Good luck.

Ashley

Real Name
Ashley
Cavin glad to see you have joined ....their are some good people here and can help you out...do you have any handfeeding formula ?

Status
Not open for further replies.