• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blue and Gold Macaw

Birdddssss

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aiden Vargo
Hi all, I was wondering if any knows where to keep your baby Blue and Gold Macaw while it is being hand fed. Thanks!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Most breeders keep the babies in a big clear plastic tub with nice high sides on it. Do you mean while you are actually feeding the baby or when it is resting and not actively being fed?

Birdddssss

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aiden Vargo
I meant while you are hand raising them thanks! And do you meen the whole time you are weaning them tou can keep them in a clear box?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My friend who has just hand raised a clutch of macaws had hers in the tubs until they were escaping, learning to perch and much more steady on their feet. Once they started escaping the box she made them up a cage with a padded bottom and fairly low perches. As they learn and get steadier on their feet the perches can slowly be raised to higher spots in their cage.
Obviously the birds were not kept solely in the tub......she had them out wandering around her home when she was able to follow and supervise them- they need this experience too as they need to know what things are and the more they are safely exposed to as babies the easier they are likely to be of accepting ever day house hold items without a stress.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Have you already brought a baby home? I'm guessing you will be planning on hand feeding this baby, do you have the knowledge on how to, prepared with all of the equipment you'll need?

Birdddssss

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aiden Vargo
Thank you, everyone, for the help that helped a lot. And yes we have hand raised many other birds I just wanted to make sure that the same goes for macaws.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
What other species of birds have you raised?