• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blue and Gold Macaw feet

khaled

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Khaled
Hi guys

Ive had my Blue and Gold Macaw for two years and took him to the vet for a check up a few months ago. The vet informed me that he's super healthy and well looked after. This week I noticed that he taken off some of his skin from his feet. Is anyone aware of this issue and how can i sort it out?

Attachments

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
:bump8:

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Im no expert but looks like he has rubbed it off from climbing around the bars of the cage. How big is the bar spacing?

khaled

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Khaled
I never thought of that, you could be right. Its one of those big cages which i see most people use for their big birds

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Its just a guess on my part. But I know when my amazon Lucy climbs around in our outdoor aviary alot I sorta see this same thing.
Though she isnt in there often enough to rub the skin off completely. The bar spacing is smaller than her regular cage.
Im sure there will be Macaw people along to give you more insight.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
you might want to keep a close to those places where the scales have rubbed away. make sure they don't get infected, keep them as clean as possible and maybe tiny dab of Heal-X soother+ on them daily if possible if they seem to be causing any pain for the bird.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Can we get a picture of his area?

Because the rub marks are at the joint of every front toe, I would expect to see a spot he is doing this while hanging. Do you have a rough wall texture near his cage?