• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blu has another ear infection

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Hi everyone! It's been a while since I've been on this forum. I hope everyone and their birds are well.

I logged in today to share some unfortunate news and looked back at my old thread and realized it's been almost exactly 1 year ago that Blu had an infection in his left ear. And now, he seems to have one in his right ear.

It's just so odd because ear infections seem to be such a rarity with birds and yet here's my little man having one in each ear. We have a vet appointment scheduled for Friday morning but I wanted to check in here and let you all know that besides his ear he is doing well.

Can you all remind me please? When we have our appointment before starting antibiotics and just guessing which test should I ask for? Is it a biopsy or a smear?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Usually you do a culture to figure it out :)

I wonder if he has seasonal allergies or something? Every year on almost the exact same day, I get "sick" and every year it ends up being allergy related.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so sorry Blu has another ear infection, and I hope it clears up faster than the last one! How stressful it would be if it reaccurs every year. I hope that’s not the case!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Usually you do a culture to figure it out :)

I wonder if he has seasonal allergies or something? Every year on almost the exact same day, I get "sick" and every year it ends up being allergy related.
Ahh, yes, a culture. Thanks so much Shawna!!

The allergy thing is an interesting thought. I don't think he sneezes that often if that's any indication but I will definitely keep that in mind if the culture doesn't show anything. Appreciate your input!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I’m so sorry Blu has another ear infection, and I hope it clears up faster than the last one! How stressful it would be if it reaccurs every year. I hope that’s not the case!
Thank you Deanna! Yes, the last one was such a long and difficult time. Hopefully a culture can pinpoint the exact meds we need this time. I appreciate your reply as well!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
First sign of allergies for me is a sore throat. I won't be sneezing or anything like that, but drainage from my sinuses will irritate my throat. And some kids need tubes in their ears due to frequent fluid build up. So just kind made me think if it's recurring that it could be something like that? Idk! Just a thought.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
First sign of allergies for me is a sore throat. I won't be sneezing or anything like that, but drainage from my sinuses will irritate my throat. And some kids need tubes in their ears due to frequent fluid build up. So just kind made me think if it's recurring that it could be something like that? Idk! Just a thought.
Oh wow. I had no idea. I have thankfully never really experienced seasonal allergies so I did not realize that. Very interesting. Thanks again!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope he feels better soon.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I hope he feels better soon.
Thanks so much Michelle! Me too. He scratched his ear up pretty bad and now it looks much worse. I will call the vet soon cause they're on break. Not sure if they'll want us to be squeezed in as quick appt today or wait till our normal appt tomorrow morning. The vet told me to call back if he gets worse when I spoke to her on Tues evening. He looks worse but his attitude seems normal so I'm not sure what she'll say

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Poor sweetie. Hope they get a good swab this time that shows something to go off of.
Me too, thanks Sarah. I just spoke with the vet tech who asked the vet and they said we could wait till tomorrow since our appt is scheduled for first thing in the morning.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Good luck with Blu's appointment!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh poor Blu! I'm so sorry to hear this,I hope after treatment it will clear up swifty and easily.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Good luck with Blu's appointment!
Thank you so much Carol! We appreciate it!

Oh poor Blu! I'm so sorry to hear this,I hope after treatment it will clear up swifty and easily.
April, thank you so much! I'm really hoping so too. We appreciate all the good thoughts and wishes!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It's not the same thing but my tiel Sunny was really prone to bacterial infections. The vet thought that due to his age, he just couldn't maintain his level of good bacteria in his system making him susceptible to bad bacteria taking over. We ended up keeping him on probiotics and it made a big difference. I wonder if that would help Blu? Might be something to ask your vet about.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
It's not the same thing but my tiel Sunny was really prone to bacterial infections. The vet thought that due to his age, he just couldn't maintain his level of good bacteria in his system making him susceptible to bad bacteria taking over. We ended up keeping him on probiotics and it made a big difference. I wonder if that would help Blu? Might be something to ask your vet about.
That's a great thought, Michelle. I still have probiotics from our last ear infection episode. I was giving it to him daily for many months but somehow kind of got out of the habit and then eventually forgot all about it. I will definitely start him back up again and probably keep at it for life. I will doubke check with the vet that it's ok but I would imagine that's probably a good thing. Thanks for mentioning it!!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
We just back got from from our appointment. We got a culture done and those results will be in, in about a week.

She said she didn't see any discharge so there's a chance the culture won't pick up on anything but, we both agreed it's good to atleast try.

The ear is definitely red and a bit swollen though. When I mentioned that the last time this happened, in the other ear, it was almost exactly one year ago, to the day, she said she wonders if it might be allergies- just like @Mizzely was thinking!

So she gave us meloxicam for the inflammation, baytril ear drops, and also an allergy med. I forgot the name 9f the allergy med and it's in the fridge so I can't write the name now but it starts with a D.

She said if the culture shows something we'll get an antibiotic at that point. So hopefully what we have now does the trick.

I was wondering last night, after Shawna mentioned the allergy thing, my gutters are filled with this foam like stuff, meant to keep the gutters from getting clogged up with leaves. They're so old a repairman was supposed to get them out last year but he never showed up. When it rains the water just sits in there and probably has mold or something in there. Plus little plants are growing in them. They are gross! Is it possible that when the windows are open that the crap in the gutters could make him have an allergic reaction? His room is on the second floor so the gutter is just like 3 feet away. I will try to get a ladder up and take that out myself this weekend, in any event. I was just wondering cause if I could get rid of the source that would obviously be the best possible outcome.

And thank you all again for all your well wishes and advice!

:heart2:

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Glad you got it cultured. Tuffy had horrible allergies in spring time but never in her ear, her nares would be hot mess. She was touch me not on her head and keeping unblocked was not fun. There are filters that you can put up inside screens of windows. But they are pricey.
Hope Blu feels better soon.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wonder if it's the humidity levels. Those of us who are prone to anything ear related frequently are affected by humidity levels. With spring in full swing, this could be a factor.