• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blu has an ear infection

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m sorry that I can’t really help you with the medical stuff, but could the neck baldness you’re seeing just be because he’s wet? I’m sure someone will come along who has so answers to your questions. How frustrating this all must be. Hang in there!
:hug8:

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
I hope Blu will be okay! :heart:

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I’m sorry that I can’t really help you with the medical stuff, but could the neck baldness you’re seeing just be because he’s wet? I’m sure someone will come along who has so answers to your questions. How frustrating this all must be. Hang in there!
:hug8:
Thank you Deanna. I was a little unhinged last night. Sorry for all the questions. I am just frustrated, as you said. It's been 6 weeks now of this every day med ritual and I was just hoping I'd see more improvement by now. His neck is definitely bald though and it didn't used to look like that when wet. When he's dry it looks a little raggedy too. My poor little guy

20210628_001419.jpg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that Blu is continuing to have an issue. Have you let the vet know about the increased loss of feathers?

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh right, I can see the area that is loosing feathers in that by photo when he’s dry. Has he been scratching that area? Do his ears itch? Telling the vet about the feather loss and asking all your questions is a good idea. I hope you get some answers!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Sorry that Blu is continuing to have an issue. Have you let the vet know about the increased loss of feathers?
Thank you! I sent an email with the pictures this morning. It's so hard to remember to mention everything during appts because we are still doing the parking lot pickup thing here and I don't get much of a chance to speak to Dr.

Oh right, I can see the area that is loosing feathers in that by photo when he’s dry. Has he been scratching that area? Do his ears itch? Telling the vet about the feather loss and asking all your questions is a good idea. I hope you get some answers!
Thank you! Yes, he definitely scratches his ear. I'm not sure if he scratches his neck. I will have to pay more attention to that. Hopefully the vet gets a chance to see my pics soon. I know they are so overwhelmed

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Awe poor Blue. I am sorry it is difficult to pin down time with the vet and get what you need sorted.

When Peppy went to the vet after the New Year, I too had to wait in the car and correspond between the vet tech and a phone call. When I got the form after the appointment the entire history I explained to them had errors, like where Peppy came from or how old he was.. basically all the details were slightly off.

Peppy had a fungal infection and he shredded all of his feathers out from it. Poor little guy. He was an antifungal straightaway and didn't get any antibiotics. The antifungal medications are longer term term, and they aren't easy to administer for a zebra finch. So we added them to the water. And that in its self was a process because you need to dissolve the medication, but the medication is very sensitive to heat and will not be effective if too warm. We worked out a process, but it was probably the most complex treatment I personally had to give to a bird.

Infections are the worst.

I hope poor little Blu gets it all sorted soon.

:sadhug2:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Awe poor Blue. I am sorry it is difficult to pin down time with the vet and get what you need sorted.

When Peppy went to the vet after the New Year, I too had to wait in the car and correspond between the vet tech and a phone call. When I got the form after the appointment the entire history I explained to them had errors, like where Peppy came from or how old he was.. basically all the details were slightly off.

Peppy had a fungal infection and he shredded all of his feathers out from it. Poor little guy. He was an antifungal straightaway and didn't get any antibiotics. The antifungal medications are longer term term, and they aren't easy to administer for a zebra finch. So we added them to the water. And that in its self was a process because you need to dissolve the medication, but the medication is very sensitive to heat and will not be effective if too warm. We worked out a process, but it was probably the most complex treatment I personally had to give to a bird.

Infections are the worst.

I hope poor little Blu gets it all sorted soon.

:sadhug2:
Thank you so much, and thanks for sharing that! I'm glad you were able to get Peppy all healed up.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
His fecal shows a bacterial infection but that has nothing to do with his ears. If she said yeast that is not bacterial. You seem to be treating two different things. Is that a current fecal or from before?

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
His fecal shows a bacterial infection but that has nothing to do with his ears. If she said yeast that is not bacterial. You seem to be treating two different things. Is that a current fecal or from before?
Oh, ok, thank you for letting me know that! That fecal was taken on our first visit (5/18) so yes, it's current. She did not do another fecal on our 2nd visit, 4 weeks later. The paperwork said nothing about yeast but I could've swore I remember her saying on the phone that there was a little yeast in the ear. But now I'm second guessing myself. I think she said that.

Last edited:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I emailed those pictures to the Dr on Monday and got a call back from someone else, on her behalf, on Weds. The guy who called asked me if Blu is still scratching alot since we have switched to the septra antibiotic? I told him that I think he is but that I have to pay more attention to be sure so would it be ok if I observe more and call back? He said sure.

So I called back the next day and told them that he is definitely still scratching. Then I asked about how long would it take to see some improvement on this new antibiotic? The girl I talked to that day (Thurs) said it may take a little while so just continue giving meds and we will see him at his next follow up, which is scheduled for July 10th.

I just got a call today from another vet tech asking how he's doing. I told her that he was scratching alot yesterday but today it seems a little better so it's hard to say for sure. So she then told me the Dr was wondering if I would like to pick up another medication to add to his other medications to see if that helps? An antifungal.

I said I would definitely like to add it as long as it wouldn't be risky or anything? She said no, it should be fine. We just want to cover all the bases incase he has a fungal infection on his skin. So thank you again, Sarah!

Hopefully this will do the trick! I will have to pick that up tomorrow because they're closed for the day.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Can anyone help me figure out the dosage on this new antifungal I got today? The vet tech just handed it to me in my car and I didn't realize until later that the dosage is written a little different from the meds we've been taking. By the time I noticed the vet was already closed and I can't call to ask until Tues due to the holiday.

This is the syringe we use

20210703_125229.jpg 20210703_125240.jpg

And we have been taking our other two meds, septra and meloxicam, by filling up the syringe to the 7 and 5 mark because the label says give .07ml and .05ml and it specifically said 5 units so that was easy to figure out.

20210703_232141.jpg

20210703_232244.jpg

But the new med, Intrafungal, says give 0.1ml by mouth and since the decimal is in a different place I'm confused. 20210703_232334.jpg

I gave him his first dose earlier today before noticing that the decimal was in a different place and I think I gave him too little. I filled up the syringe up to the very first line. It was a miniscule amount.

Woupd I be correct if I'm thinking the correct dose would actually be at the 10 on the syringe? I am so bad at math and numbers so if anyone knows for sure it would really help us out alot. If not, we'll just have to wait until Tuesday to start because I definitely don't want to give him the wrong amount.
@Macawnutz

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yes, on that syringe you are going to the 10. Would have been so much easier to add it to the antibiotic. :facepalm:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I'm not quite sure yet if Blu is getting better. Perhaps a little bit. We have a follow up appointment scheduled for Saturday morning.

His ear area looks like there's some dots on there now and I'm not sure if those are new feathers cropping up or if it's fungus or something. Does anyone have any idea?

20210708_132558.jpg

20210708_132557.jpg

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw, he’s so cute! I hope they are just feathers and he gets all better. :fingerscrossed: Blu must know you’re just trying to help. :heart: