• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

BLOWING ON SUN CONURES

edenkwfl

Meeting neighbors
ok. I ran into something weird today totally by accident. I had our 2 sun conures, Mori and Pincus, out for their morning “us” time and while they were chewing on a favorite toy of theirs I started to gently blow on Pincus..no clue why I guess I was just messing with him, but he liked it. He stopped what he was doing and just sat there. He flicked his wings every now and again and then went for my mouth..not meanly at all. Mori seemed to like it but not as much as Pincus. All of this is my way of asking if I did something I shouldn’t have. I’m new at this and since they are now a year old I’m worried about doing something to accidentally “arouse” them for lack of a better term.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Interesting. I have no idea, so...

:bump7:

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
He flicked his wings every now and again and then went for my mouth..not meanly at all. Mori seemed to like it but not as much as Pincus. All of this is my way of asking if I did something I shouldn’t have. I’m new at this and since they are now a year old I’m worried about doing something to accidentally “arouse” them for lack of a better term.
Have you ever read through this article? It might be good for you :) Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I don't know about it, but Monaco really seems to enjoy a moment or two in the air vent breeze. She wags her tail feathers and leans in a little every time.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
My cockatiel loved it if I blower on him as well. I don't know how it started, just being silly I think, but he would spread his wings, put his head down and 'fly' in the wind. He was flighted and loved to fly, he just loved it for some reason. I don't think you need to worry about making then hormonal that way, but I have no experience with suns:)

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
It’s ok for them? I would think the bacteria and saliva coming out of your mouth when you blow could be harmful.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Hm, I never thought about that? Very thoughtful of you! I never have saliva come out when I blow though. The things bird people discuss:lol:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
he would spread his wings, put his head down and 'fly' in the wind
That sounds like the videos on You Tube of folks blow drying their birds after a bath. I was surprised how many "fly" into it. :swoon: So cute!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I think it's fine if they like it. Just blow gently and don't slobber on them. I blow pinnie dust off many of mine when helping them and they do ruffle up their feathers.

MeganC

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Well I only have female birds, so I can't speak for the hormonal behavior of males. That said, you are probably okay. I, every once in a while, gently blow on my girls and they seem to enjoy it without any hormonal issues.

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
Yup! It’s a normal sun thing. My girl loves some air and so have others I’ve encountered. As long as your breath is clean and you aren’t a spitter it is fine. You just don’t want to touch the erogenous bird zones.
I’ve tried researching specifically why birds like this and most info points to them enjoying the feeling of current that simulates flight.

edenkwfl

Meeting neighbors
Yup! It’s a normal sun thing. My girl loves some air and so have others I’ve encountered. As long as your breath is clean and you aren’t a spitter it is fine. You just don’t want to touch the erogenous bird zones.
I’ve tried researching specifically why birds like this and most info points to them enjoying the feeling of current that simulates flight.
I am not a spitter and I’m glad to hear that this is not is not limited to our conures.

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Not a conure, but Rowan throws an absolute fit if I dare to vacuum the room and don't pause to let him surf in the wind from the exhaust for a while. :lol: I had to get a different shop-vac because he taught himself how to turn the old one on...