• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bloody Beak

GeezLouise

Meeting neighbors
My Green Cheeks lower beak looks to have chipped (?) and has a small amount of visible blood in it. She is still eating fine, using her beak and grinding so I wonder if this is just from the molt she’s going through ??? I’ll try to get a photo.

It’s also been a very stressful time for her in the last week. I had to clip her wings and make a 2 hour move which she is handling somewhat well. My partner told me that while I was away today, she “was acting terrified and screaming while running around in her cage”. There’s no other indication of injury. Just worried.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Bump

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would suggest a vet visit to get him checked over in all honesty, the screaming could also indicate pain.

@webchirp may have more of a idea

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
That's a good size chunk that's missing. But I think will recover and grow back fine . Might need beak trim if she does t keep lower beak in shape due to temporary pain or how this grows back . Something to keep an eye on.

Now if this if from her continuing to chew cage bars in frustrating anxiety over move ....she could keep making it worse.

Try to help her with the anxiety. As I'm sure you are. Extra cuddling. My green cheek really needs and responds to extra cuddling during stress times .
There hsve bern a couple of times my gcc was frantic in her cage ( for unknown to me reasons) and taking her out for a few miniuts of soft talk and cuddling then I could put her back and she would be fine.

Take on walking tours of new place. Make sure her cage is in the best place for her and there isn't something that's cause stress. Soothing music might help.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I second the vet. :goodluck:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
@Mizzely does this look like the problem you had diet wise with yours guy?

I think a vet check would be a good idea because birds can get bacterial infections under stress. The wound wouldn’t overly worry me if it were mine but that is an odd spot for unknown? injury. Keep things extra clean until you can get her in. Can you tell us what she is eating on a daily basis? Vitamin deficiency can cause the beak to be soft and break easily.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
No, haven't had an issue in that spot! Ripley's was more on the sides of his upper mandible. I definitely would think it might be from chewing cage bars or an injury. Diet can definitely have an impact though