• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Bloody Beak

Ziekenzie

Walking the driveway
I just noticed that Prince has a bloody beak! I don’t know what could be the cause. He has dropped a feather if that’s any help. Also when I asked him to step up, he stepped up and then proceeded to bite my thumb. Any advice? image.jpg
Thanks in advance!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I move this to 911 because you would get better response I would take a wet gentle cloth and wipe off the blood and look at it if it continues to bleed or if there’s any breakage take it in mediately to your avian vet

Ziekenzie

Walking the driveway
I just noticed a bit of blood on his nose. I’m thinking it might be because while he was preening his bloody feathers he got a bit on his face.

Ziekenzie

Walking the driveway
I also noticed something that looks similar to a scab on the bottom of his beak

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Try your best to inspect your birds body looking for any wounds or broken feathers, then check the bleeding has stopped.

Ziekenzie

Walking the driveway
Should I towel him, and if so would it ruin the bond we have?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Should I towel him, and if so would it ruin the bond we have?
If your bird will let you look without towelling then better, if not then yes. If your bird is injured then their health comes before any bond you may or may not have. I would try without first, maybe incorporate it into a quick game with treats involved.

Ziekenzie

Walking the driveway
I don’t know how much blood a broken feather should have, but his right wing looks bad. I can clearly see blood.

Ziekenzie

Walking the driveway
Also when I believe his urine is yellow. I just checked the paper towel I put at the bottom of the cage, and it was yellow. I don’t know if this is normal or not.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is there any active bleeding happening? The blood on his beak is almost certainly from preening the wing.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Can you post a picture of the droppings?

Ziekenzie

Walking the driveway
Prince seems to have some fresh blood on his beak as of now. Also here is a picture of the droppings. image.jpg

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Did you take him to an avian vet yet if not I would take him ASAP

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The droppings look normal. You need to get a better look at his wing by holding him and gently extending it. If this is just an injury you can probably treat it at home (and that is something you should learn how to do) but he cannot be allowed to just keep bleeding.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'd say to wash him up and make sure that the bleeding has stopped. You can try packing the area with flour, cayenne pepper or corn flour if it continues to bleed.

I personally wouldn't say that amount of blood is a reason to rush off to the vets, but if he hasn't had any recent blood work or a fecal gram stain, it wouldn't hurt to get those done to ensure he's healthy. :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think the yellow on the poop your seeing is from the green part of the droppings mixing with the urine and turning the paper towel yellowish.