• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blood work

Caledon

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
Took my CAG in for a check up. She will be two in December and is a small one at 354 gm. As I may have to board her later, plus for a reference I had blood work done on her. Got the results and I'm confused.

She is on Harrison's high potency pellets, chop, fresh veggies, not too much fruit she's healthy, active and a happy girl. No health concerns. Feed her a few almonds 3-4 times a week, give her 1-3 sunflowers seeds 3-4 times a week.

Blood sugar is normal, liver and kidneys are fine

Calcium is low, 1.9 and s/b 2 to 2.5
Protein is low, was 23 and should be 27
Red cell count is down. She's at .349 and should be .4

Vet said we could do more tests or retest her in a few weeks. She also said these could be her levels.

I have no idea if this is a cause for concern. Help from the experts please. I want to educate myself before I order expensive tests. my gut tells me to wait maybe six months to a year and then retest.

I also don't know what the "normal" range represents. Is it for adult parrots of all species. Or does it make a difference.

I'd love advise please.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
She could benefit from full spectrum lighting, outside time in the sun or just a calcium and vitamin D supplement, such as calcivet.

You may want to include grains and legumes as part of her diet and maybe up the amount of cooked eggs she gets.

Try and make sure she doesn't consume very much sodium/salt.

Not sure what else might help atm.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I would definitely add fs lighting. I use Featherbrite.

Also up omega 3/6 fatty acids. Nutriberries, red palm or canola oil and walnuts are good sources.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I don't know much about them except that a high CPK level can be indicitave of PDD

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I wouldn't expect her calcium to be high as she's a juvenile, but I would expect it to be normal with fs lighting.

My crew tend to show high calcium, but they are all hormonal adults.

You may actually cut down a bit on the fresh and increase pellets. Fresh is good, of course, but it can be difficult to provide all the nutrients they need, and in the right amounts.

My CAGs get about half Harrison's HP and about half Lafeber's products (Nutriberries and Nutri-An cake). I give them the Lafeber's products for the omega fatty acids, and to cut down on fat since Greys are prone to artheriosclerosis. The Nutri-An cakes you must get from a vet, but I like them for being high in protein, which Greys seek, but low in fat compared to the Harrison's.

Caledon

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
Outside time has been rare so far this spring as the weather has just turned nice. I'm going to look into the lighting.

I

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I am using different fixtures for my bulbs, but all the birds seem to be doing well with the setups. I have a 3 light floor lamp between Pete and Rowdy. Merlin has a clip light. Sophie has one of the Featherbrite top of cage lights. I've been using their bulbs 8 years now because I've seen good results with them.