• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blood on Blinky’s foot??

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
I was feeding the budgies and I just saw what looks like blood on Blinky’s foot?? How could that have happened??
02FFBFFA-71F4-407F-957A-BEF725E6634A.jpeg
Sorry it isn’t good but this is the best picture I could get :unsure1:

ParrotNuts

Real Name
Atharv
That looks like it may have swelled or it may be bumblefoot, I am not sure :shrug: , Do you have any dowels in their cage?

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I see a chain in the back there on the second pic. I wonder if he got his nail/toe stuck in it...
Could you post a pic of the full cage?

BirdWorld

I see a chain in the back there on the second pic. I wonder if he got his nail/toe stuck in it...
Yes, him getting caught on the chain seems a likely possibility, it has a little sharp edge :( I will definitely take it out. I gave him a bath and he washed off all of the blood, and it has stopped bleeding. Should I keep an eye on his foot or will it be fine? I haven’t let him out yet today, not sure if I should because then it might start bleeding again.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I would keep an eye on it. You are looking for, black discolouration, bleeding, infection, unable to use foot, and anything else out of the ordinary.
Be sure your bird eats and drinks normally too..

The problem with chains, like those single chains, is the bird will grab the chains and play with the toy, but then the toy turns and traps their nail/toe. I think a bloody toe is one of the better outcomes of this type of incident (some birds aren´t able to get free and panic :( )

Double check the rest of the cage still, just in case this was something else.

BirdWorld

The only other things I can think of that he’d get caught on is string from the rope swing he was sitting on, the edge of a plastic toy, or the grate/bars. He seems to be acting normal. Here is a picture of the foot now. It only looks like there’s a little scratch, near the nail. 0D59654D-F552-4090-8871-EF2EDADBFEA0.jpeg