• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blood on beak?

Wordbird23

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Jess
I came home from work and saw that my bird had blood right above the black arrow. It’s not much and wasn’t super fresh. I out some clot gel on it just in case it started to bleed again. The gel also has a disinfect in it. There appears to be a bit of blood on his perches where he rubs his beak. Has anyone else had a bird whose bled a bit on their lower beak? Will it heal/grow ok? He doesn’t appear to be in any pain and acts completely fine. There’s no blood anywhere else in him.
I didn’t think that spot birds bled from.....

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If they crack it, it can bleed. It is a living, sensitive part of their body :)

Are you absolutely sure it was blood and not fruit juice etc?

Reactions: Ali

Wordbird23

Real Name
Jess
I’m not 100% sure. I haven’t fed him anything red. He had carrots and sugar snap peas yesterday and just his seed mix so far today. He doesn’t have any red toys really.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would just monitor then and make sure he is still eating, etc, over the next few days. If he did crack it, he may need a vet to help with gluing it and pain meds.

Wordbird23

Real Name
Jess
I know their beaks ‘flake’ But this seems to be a big and deep flake with the bit of blood on it. He’s my first and only bird so I’m kinda the new birb mum constantly wondering if I’m doing the right thing‘. I also live in an area where there’s no real bird vets. :/

Thank you so much for the help! I was worried when I came home and seen that. Granted it wasn’t a lot of blood, but seeing blood is always a little worrisome.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Jess :)

Good eye to spot the blood, I hope it will be a minor thing.

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
Is it perhaps red dye from a toy?

Wordbird23

Real Name
Jess
He only has natural wood toys to chew on. The others aren’t ones to have dye come off if he manages to chew at them.
He seems to be doing better this morning. Most of the blood is gone from his beak. There’s just a little spot left. It looks like it had a big clump that flaked off or perhaps got snagged on something. I’m thinking it’ll grow out and be better soon. I was just concerned with the bleeding. I didn’t think that section of their beaks bled.

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
When one of my caiques was a clumsy youngster, she broke off the tip of her upper beak (caiques tend to have a somewhat longer upper beak), just a little bit. It was dripping blood!! I was freaking out! She was painful for a few days. I would syringe feed her during this time. She was fine after a few days. Make sure your boy is eating okay....if he's painful, you might have to help him.

Wordbird23

Real Name
Jess
Thank you for that! How long did it take for your little Caiques to recover?
He doesn’t appear to have issues biting still. I can tell he was in pain. The clotting gel has some numbing things in it, so that helped. Though it tastes gross and he doesn’t like it. :p

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I also live in an area where there’s no real bird vets. :/
What part of the world are you in? We might be able to help find somewhere in case you ever have an emergency or need a vet for whatever reason.:)

Welcome to the Avenue Jess!

Wordbird23

Real Name
Jess
I’m in Idaho. There’s a few bird vets, but they won’t accept him as they consider him a ‘tropical exotic’
But he’s a Green Cheek Conure. He’s three years old and a handful of months. I found one vet, but the lady said birds should “only have a pellet and crumb diet”. Needless to say, I don’t trust her. I have a few falconers friends and a local shop owner whose been very helpful. Plus a few distant online vets from chats.

lemonjuice

Moving in
Real Name
Miles
he honestly might have just broken a blood feather and picked at it! my tiel is clumsy and he breaks blood feathers frequently and he gets the blood all over but he is always perfectly fine once it clots.

Wordbird23

Real Name
Jess
At first that’s what I thought, but I couldn’t find any blood feathers or broken feathers on him, nor in his cage. He appears to be acting fine and is eating. Though I’ve notice he’s tried grinding his beak and made some loud noises compared to what he’s even done while doing that.

CrazyKozmo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
My caique probably took about 3 days of looking like she was having a bad headache. I gave her an few drops of Arnica (for trauma) every few hours through that weekend. It is an alcohol-free tincture from NewWayHerbs.com. I probably stopped worrying about her after a week (this was in July 2014....trying to remember back that far). I keep alcohol-free Arnica on hand always....these caiques are a bit more clumsy than my green cheeks!

Wordbird23

Real Name
Jess
I’ll have to look into that. I know mine has a new sleeping habit this month. He’s been sleeping on a toy that spins and has fallen a few times from. I’m wondering if maybe he fell and hit his beak this time?
He loves the toy however. (Photo of him was taken at night a few nights ago when he was on it).
I have tons of perches and a hut in there for him. He used to sleep in the hut, but I have been sick this past month with various things after another it seemed. So I’m thinking he’s been sleeping there to keep an eye on me. (It’s been in the upper 90’s-100s for most of August out here, I also switched medications for myself and it made me super sick. Then I got hay fever. He hasn’t seen me at my best lately to say the least)

Attachments

CrazyKozmo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Yeah, I'm in Central Washington state with similar weather. August has been brutal!!
Birds are sensitive to our feelings and body language. Keep your eye on him...he's probably stressed from possible beak trauma. He's a pretty boy...yellow sided green cheek?

Wordbird23

Real Name
Jess
Yes he is!
We had a big storm last night with tons of loud thunder and lightening. I have a little hut that I’ll put on my bed for him, plus a fuzzy blanket for him to sleep with that was he doesn’t stress out so much. (He’s terrified of the dark and storms and immensely freaked out with balloons I’ve learned one bday).

He might be a bit spoiled :)

CrazyKozmo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Yes, my birds are spoiled rotten!! I don't have kids, so my birds are my kids! I'll tell my friends that they'll stay cute forever....whereas children don't necessarily.:tmsmakesme:

• Haha