• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blood in tip of feathers

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
So I was cleaning up a bit, and I found a box that I had used to save some of my lovebirds’ feathers ages ago. These feathers belonged to a group of creamino/lutino lovebirds that I had raised, and they were all from the same breeder as they were all related (siblings). I noticed this problem when they lost the feathers, but I wasn’t on this forum the , so I didn’t know who to ask about it (the vet was not a good option at the time).
But anyways, I found them again today, and I would love it if anyone could help me with this problem: most of the feathers all had blood in the tip. They were not plucked, and I know that because I saw a few of these feathers fall out, and I spent countless hours observing the birds, and I never saw them fight or pluck.
Anyways, I don’t know much about how the birds are doing now, because they went to new homes. So all I can say is that for the first 3 months of their lives they were very happy and healthy, but they did have this feather thing going on.
I attached a picture of some of the feathers. Thank you!!
92FED92D-241B-4C27-871D-6949562A5350.jpeg 7177D112-3B19-4395-9156-11572FF60DE4.jpeg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sometimes baby birds are rough on their feathers and will prematurely drop developing feathers if they accidentally are too rough. They also sometimes "release" feathers if they are overly startled, especially if a wing or tail gets temporarily caught (as in-between cage bars or in a toy).

There are also diseases that make them prematurely drop feathers.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Shawna answered the question very well.

A ¨normal¨ moulted feather will have a clear quill.