• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Blood in stool

Ophelio

Moving in
My green cheek conure had blood in the urine part of one of her poops earlier this morning (first pic). None of her poops afterwards had any blood until a little before noon (second and third pics- it’s the same poop but before and after I cleaned it up). They also seem poorly digested with an unusual texture and these dark flecks in them. The urates are also stringy, but I’m not sure if that’s normal or not. None of the poops since have had blood.
She is on a pellet diet and has not eaten anything that would have caused those flecks—only a little bit of millet in the morning and some apple mid day. She’s acting mostly normal except she’s not playing with her toys as much and she keeps flying to this dark corner of the room whenever out of her cage. She is not fluffed up or lethargic or anything.
I have a vet general checkup in four days unrelated to this. No nearby avian vets have any openings. Should I get an emergency appointment somewhere else or wait?

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Do you have any reason to suspect an egg? Any straining? Is there swelling by vent? If any egg was suspect then this can be a true emergency if egg bound

But heavy metal toxicity is another reason you can see blood .

There are probably many reasons, thst I don't have knowledge on . ..

Personally I like to call my avain veterinarian and get advice. They often have an emergency line. Or call as soon as open and asked to be seen sooner as an emergency work in.
If I feel I can wait I prefer to see an avain veterinarian over a general emergency veterinarian. It's always a tough call and based on how you feel and how you feel your sweetie is doing.

I'm certainly uncomfortable advising either.

If she stops eating, gets fluffed , or any more symptoms then I definitely wouldn't wait.

Ophelio

Moving in
Do you have any reason to suspect an egg? Any straining? Is there swelling by vent? If any egg was suspect then this can be a true emergency if egg bound

But heavy metal toxicity is another reason you can see blood .

There are probably many reasons, thst I don't have knowledge on . ..

Personally I like to call my avain veterinarian and get advice. They often have an emergency line. Or call as soon as open and asked to be seen sooner as an emergency work in.
If I feel I can wait I prefer to see an avain veterinarian over a general emergency veterinarian. It's always a tough call and based on how you feel and how you feel your sweetie is doing.

I'm certainly uncomfortable advising either.

If she stops eating, gets fluffed , or any more symptoms then I definitely wouldn't wait.
No there’s no egg. I felt her belly, and there’s nothing. Plus there’s no other signs she’s going to lay an egg.
But good news: I did some investigating and the bleeding is not internal. Somehow she injured the outside of her cloaca and I’m guessing the blood is from the wound reopening every so often when she poops. Now I’m just not sure if it’s safe to use styptic powder there.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Can you share a pic ? It's not a hernia or prolapse?
If she has done this herself, indicate sn issue.

Plus this doesn't explain the stool composition