• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Blood Feathers

Masitsu

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Emma
I have a cockatiel that is just under a year old. His name is Kano.
Just recently, I got another cockatiel, hoping to give Kano a buddy as in recent weeks I haven't been able to be home as often as I'd like to and I didn't want Kano to become lonely.
The new cockatiel is at most 1 month old and seems to be a male. I named him "Boba"
I've been home the last week and have been monitoring their behavior with one another. Now, Kano is a very shy, gentle bird and when introducing him to my boyfriends bird, was very friendly yet shy.
However, with Boba, Kano was frequently flying away and Boba would just kind of sit there. After a couple days, they seemed to have gotten used to each other and even had no problem sharing the same food dish. (Before, Kano was too shy to be around Boba so this was a very happy sign for me)
More days had passed, and Kano showed more signs of being comfortable, so I was finally comfortable leaving them alone. I made plans but when I came home later that day, I saw that Kano's left wing had blood. Kano was on the complete opposite side of Boba in the cage. At first I panicked, cried, and thought everything was my fault; I shouldn't have brought a new bird home. I grabbed a towel and took Boba out of the cage. I checked him and he didn't have a single scratch on him. I then put him into the carrier that I originally used to bring him home.
After checking Boba, I got Kano and he genuinely seemed fine. He definitely did not want me to touch his wing, but he happily stepped up on to my finger and let me give him his head scratches that he loves. Everything about his body-language was saying he was fine but I couldn't get past how bloodied his wing was.
I took Kano to the bathroom, got warm water and some cotton swabs and gently tried to clean up his wing. This was my first time doing this and I may have messed up as he had started bleeding again. (Prior to this wash, he seemed to have stopped bleeding). When we finished up in the bathroom, I grabbed a towel, gently wrapped him up in the towel, and spread his wing out trying to locate the bleed. What I found were 3 blood feathers. 2 of them were already clotted, but the third one seemed to have been struggling. I looked up what I could do and I saw things about using flour or cornstarch to help clot the blood...however, neither of those things do I have in my house.
This was roughly 2 hours ago. Right now, his wing seems to have stopped bleeding and he is seemingly perfectly happy and content. It is 5 AM right now. No stores near me are open at all and the nearest avian vet is 3 hours away.

I didn't take pictures but please, with the information I have given, what can I do? I'm going to go buy flour as soon as a store opens but other than that, I'm lost. Please help me.
Kano is now horrified of the other bird so I can only assume Boba attacked Kano and even if he didn't, I'm too scared to risk it.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Were you able to get your little one into a vet? How is he doing?

Masitsu

Real Name
Emma
Were you able to get your little one into a vet? How is he doing?
No I was not. However, I have flour now but I don't think I'll need it. His wing is clotting very well; he tries to fly (I try not to let him because I'm scared) but even then, his wing doesn't bleed. I've kept an eye on him all day and anytime he tries to preen around that area, I try to get him to stop because I don't want him to make it bleed again. I've been researching all day and everything I've been reading says that as long as the bleeding is stopped/clotted, pulling the broken blood feather probably isn't necessary and it should be able to heal on it own. I really hope that is true. I'm still kind of new to this as this is the first time I'm experiencing this.

The nearest avian vet, as said in original post, is three hours away. So far, I haven't been able to make that trip as I have a younger sister who I've been needing to take care of and I don't have car seat in my car for her (She's still a toddler) so I wouldn't be able to bring her with me.

Over all, Kano seems to be doing fine and he's currently sitting on my shoulder asking for head scratches.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's a relief that he seems to be doing well and that the blood has clotted. I've had it happen both ways were I've had to have the blood feather removed by the vet and were it's clotted on its own and all was well.
Since it's been a whole day I'd be inclined to think that the danger is probably over at this point. So sorry this has happened to both you and him. I hope he continues to feel better and have no more issues with the blood feathers.

Masitsu

Real Name
Emma
That's a relief that he seems to be doing well and that the blood has clotted. I've had it happen both ways were I've had to have the blood feather removed by the vet and were it's clotted on its own and all was well.
Since it's been a whole day I'd be inclined to think that the danger is probably over at this point. So sorry this has happened to both you and him. I hope he continues to feel better and have no more issues with the blood feathers.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your reply!!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your reply!!
Of course! So sorry that no one else seemed to have seen it since it was posted so early. I'm so glad that he seems to be ok I know how scary that is especially in the early morning hours when no one can really help.