• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Blood Feathers on my 5 Month old

cinnamon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sofia
hello! so i’ve had my cockatiel for 3 months now! he is 5 months old and his name is cinnamon. he is molting right now and i was wondering is it okay to pinch off the white end of the pin feather if it’s not done growing? not pinch off the growing part the white part. because his pins are bothering him a lot! 737825BF-C44A-4CF8-9A45-762F7AC2177D.jpeg

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yes, you can pinch them with your nails or roll them around between your fingers to get them off, and I bet your bird will love it too! Misting also helps soften them.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You can. Just make sure that there isn't blood in the shaft. If there is, it will be painful to be touched. If there's no blood, and they are just regular pin feathers, then it's fine to do as long as he's okay with you doing it.

cinnamon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sofia
yeah he loves when i preen him! we do it everyday for about an hour i just sritch him and get all his grown pin feathers. if he makes a noise i stop and don’t go back to that one. is it possible that if i pinch it too low it will start bleeding?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'd recommend leaving those ones alone, personally... wait until the feather is more grown before messing with them!

In the meantime, extra baths!!!

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I also recommend leaving the ones I see in the photo alone, they don't look ready yet.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I also recommend leaving the ones I see in the photo alone, they don't look ready yet.
Agreed. While they look black like that they're full of blood. If the sheath is taken too far back it'll likely bleed and ruin the feather developing inside.