• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Blood feathers but bleeding stopped?

Rikoriko

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a 1 year old pearl female cockatiel. A minor earthquake happened and my bird was startled. I wasn't there when it happened, but I noticed 2 blood feathers had been broken (1 on each wing). I have never dealt with a bird health emergency, so we did not have much success in towelling her to apply cornstarch. We noticed that the bleeding stopped very quickly, so we don't think there is a need to apply pressure or add cornstarch. I don't think pulling the feather is necessary, and I am not experienced enough to do so. Should I let the feather clot on its own, or should I go to the vet? My bird is behaving perfectly fine and acting normal, but I am still worried for her health.

Rikoriko

Checking out the neighborhood
this is the best picture i could get. she doesnt liked to be touched so i cant show the whole wings. I think it was a secondary feather

20220414_222805.jpg

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that the bleeding has stopped. Hopefully it was just a minor injury.

Keep an eye on it. If the bleeding starts up again or if the feather seems to be bothering your tiel, then go to an avian vet to have the feather pulled.