• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Blood feather?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianimal

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
briana
Sorry I havent been on in forever, school has been crazy, any how. Coby has been trying to mate with me constantly and has slowly became slightly cage aggressive. It never was bad at all until today, i was trying to get her out (which is usually a task anyway because she dives into her nest and tries to get my haand in there with her) but today she was violent about it. After a couple of blood drawing bites (I gave her beak a good trim and it STILL drew blood
!!) i resorted to the dreaded blanket, i cover my hands with a thick blanket and grab her, she manages to get free STILL so i am chasing her around the room she settles back into her nest, i catch her, she tried to bite her way out and ended up loosing a blood feather (i think) The feather was not broken and i dont *think* she is bleeding but there was a small amount of blood in the hollow of the feather. Is she ok? was it a blood feather?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Yes that is a blood feather and if it's not broken or bleeding she should be okay.

Ginger

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It probably was. If your literally "grabbing her out of the cage" you should reconsider doing that. Why do you need to "grab" her?? That is "forcing" her to do things which will not help with the behavior at all.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Here is a pic of what the feather tip should look like. This may help you determine if it is completely out.
Also, Does Coby have a beak problem that needs to be clipped? If not you should not be cutting his beak.

Attachments

Last edited:

brianimal

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
briana
Ok thanks i was worried! I had to grab her, i tried to get her to step on my finger ( she usually readily flies out, but these past couple of days you cant hardly get her out, if i let her out she finds a small cozy nest-like spot (wich i have removed all of those spots possible now) and will bite you till you bleed if you come within a foot of her nest. it espesially gets annoying when she claims me as her nest, she will find a space under my leg or beside my arm and bite me if i move a muscle.

brianimal

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
briana
no, i thought it was ok to trim the beak, i always heard it was, i just bearly trim the sharp point off of it. it doesnt take off any length just the tip that gets razor sharp. Ive tried putting cuttle bone in her cage to keep the sharp point filed, she never showed any interest. is there a better way?

brianimal

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
briana
it is completley out and it had a LOT less blood, it didnt break either it just came loose.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
no, i thought it was ok to trim the beak, i always heard it was, i just bearly trim the sharp point off of it. it doesnt take off any length just the tip that gets razor sharp. Ive tried putting cuttle bone in her cage to keep the sharp point filed, she never showed any interest. is there a better way?
Does she have any manicure perches? They are helpful for some birds especially those who like to wipe their beak on the perch after they eat. :)

brianimal

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
briana
no, i am confused, i dont really know how to determine a good perch from a bad one, i heard rough sandy ones can hurt their feet, which perches are good?

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
They make concrete ones that have a nice rough surface. My birds all love them and have no foot issues, they even make some that only the nails come in contact with the rough side and the fot base area is smooth to protect the rest of the foot better.

It is spring now so hormones are going kind of wild all around. Noodle is a nut. Just be patient and calm and try not to force Coby into anything. If she wants to chill in the cage let her, think of it like your friends forcing you to go to the movies and you really are not in the mood, you wouldn't really enjoy it right? Same thing for forcing a normally fun interaction with your fid!
:hug8:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The bird purposely sharpens it on their own. She will use the rough perches/cuttlebone whatever to "sharpen" it, not dull it. It's meant to be sharp. The way to handle it is to avoid getting into situations where she can bite you.

no, i am confused, i dont really know how to determine a good perch from a bad one, i heard rough sandy ones can hurt their feet, which perches are good?
The best perches are naturally branch shaped perches that vary in shape and size just like a tree branch with bumps and dips so depending on where they like to stand will determine the different pressure points on their feet. No matter what perch you use, again she's not going to use it to dull her beak but sharpen it.

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I always thought that sandy perches were okay but concrete was a no no.

Can someone clear this up please.

Ginger

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
DO NOT USE THESE

any of these are good

These are Pumice Perches- They're good as well, they are the kind that is only rough where the nails touch

http://base0.googlehosted.com/base_...368-40660-bird.jpg&size=20&dhm=750ae355&hl=en

there are many others like the ones above Just make sure You do not use the 1st one posted those cause damage

and as John said their beaks are supposed to be sharp this is how they eat. tear veggies/greens apart to eat them crack seeds etc.

does she have a nest in her cage? or anything she see's as one? Happy Huts, boxes, paper she shreds? if so remove it all - its making the already hormonoal problem worse and before long she'll lay eggs and you don't want that, you want her to stop thinking its time to breed

you do that by less showers/baths(in the wild most birds get "turned on" In a sense by the rain and thats when they breed

less soft foods

NOTHING she can use as a nest - if your cage does not have a grate - get one that does and do not put paper on top of it. no tents/happy huts etc. these are all seen as nests and only cause problems.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
The sand covered perches are irritating to the soft tissue of the foot and can cause Bumblefoot which is an inflammatory or degenerative condition of the weight-bearing surface of the foot.

Birds and Bumblefoot | The Paw Blog

Ruby has a number of different type perches. I like the Pumice perches the best (that Kelli has a link to above) that have to be placed with the manicuring sides where the nails touch and the smooth sides where the skin rests.

brianimal

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
briana
ok, i didnt know that nests were bad, i just removed hers, that should help. next time i got the the bird supply store i wil pick up more perches and toys to distract her from the loss of her beloved nest

Status
Not open for further replies.