• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blood feather scare and recovery care

RebeccaZM

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebecca
So to make a long and stressful story short, my 7 month old cockatiel Obi-Wan will most likely be having 'surgery' in the coming days to remove his blood feathers (not permanently), all are broken, on both wings. We spent yesterday and last night at a family member's apartment because we had to have some elements in our furnace replaced (fumes and all that), and the whole day he did wonderfully, talking and serenading my brother. This morning he had a night fright in his bigger travel cage and I think due to the new/unfamiliar environment he didn't calm down right away when he heard my voice, usually he calms as soon as he hears my voice. The bleeding was minimal and stopped quickly but the vet applied styptic powder just in case, and said rather than risk him hurting them more and bleeding again, he would like to put him under some anesthesia tomorrow (depending on Obi's stress) and remove the broken feathers and let him grow new ones.

I was planning on having him sleep in his smaller carrier until he is healed, it's a standard ventilated pet carrier with a grate front, it looks like this.
PETMATE Ruff Maxx Dog & Cat Kennel, Off White/Green, 26-in - Chewy.com

Does anyone have any tips for how to make his healing process as comfortable as possible and how long he might be feeling tender afterwards? I knew beforehand how clumsy baby birds (especially cockatiels) are, does anyone have any tips for keeping him safe while his new flight feathers grow in? Aside from bubble wrap that is, lol (kidding). He is a cuddler but not big on having his wings touched. What would be a good way to work with him on having his wings checked/handled in the future?

Thank you!

Attachments

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sometimes young cockatiels will break blood feathers multiple times. I've never had a 'tiel put under anesthesia to remove blood feathers. I've had to pull them and then one time had to rush Kuiper to vet to have one or more pulled when I couldn't stop the bleeding. Does the vet feel that he will get too worked up without anesthesia?

It's just a good idea to monitor closely and make sure that there is enough space so that he doesn't hit his wings against cage bars or toys and possibly break more blood feathers. I once considered attaching seagrass mats to every side of Kuiper's cage for "padding" but never wound up doing that.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Churchill has had some very serious night frights as well. The worst I’ve ever experienced in all my years of birds! His avian vet clipped (a big chop) both wings because the exact same incident as Obi-Wan. She would like him to remain fully clipped for the foreseeable future- and we are going to adhere to that advice. The night fright he had before the big chop, he broke nine blood feathers and bled tremendously. We could have lost him. We have not been able to identify why the frights occur and we cannot isolate a pattern. They do seem entirely random

Since that night (and chop) he now has a 30x18 low flat flight cage. Prevue Hendryx brand, and sparsely furnished. We have placed items on top for him to use as a jungle gym, but everything is modified so that if he were to have a fright there’s much less chance of him damaging his body. He seems to enjoy the security of the new smaller cage as well.

RebeccaZM

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebecca
Sometimes young cockatiels will break blood feathers multiple times. I've never had a 'tiel put under anesthesia to remove blood feathers. I've had to pull them and then one time had to rush Kuiper to vet to have one or more pulled when I couldn't stop the bleeding. Does the vet feel that he will get too worked up without anesthesia?

It's just a good idea to monitor closely and make sure that there is enough space so that he doesn't hit his wings against cage bars or toys and possibly break more blood feathers. I once considered attaching seagrass mats to every side of Kuiper's cage for "padding" but never wound up doing that.
Yes my vet observed him for a few hours after I dropped Obi off and called me back. Obi is a pretty highly-strung cockatiel even on a good day, and since it was all of the blood feathers on both wings that were damaged he feels it would be too painful and stressful for him without anesthesia. Do you think the travel carrier I linked would be too small to use as a sleeping cage while he heals then? I should have linked the travel carrier he was in when the injuries occurred, it was this one by Prevue, 20 x 12.5 x 15.5. I did notice that he was right against one of the two shorter walls when he was flapping so I would assume his wings were hitting that side and the two longer sides of the cage. Aside from any misgivings he may have about that cage (I'm not sure if he would associate it with the traumatic(?) memory of breaking his feathers?), would that be a better choice for a sleeping cage? At least temporarily if I need one that is larger. I read somewhere on a bird forum that the less room they have to throw themselves around the less chance of injury, within reason of course, but now I gather that sleeping cages should be able to accommodate their wing span in all directions then.
I would have never thought about the seagrass mats, I'll keep that in mind! I might replace all of the harder/jingly toys in his cage with soft shreddable or leather toys until he is fully healed. Maybe every time he is growing blood feathers...
Thanks!

Attachments

RebeccaZM

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebecca
Churchill has had some very serious night frights as well. The worst I’ve ever experienced in all my years of birds! His avian vet clipped (a big chop) both wings because the exact same incident as Obi-Wan. She would like him to remain fully clipped for the foreseeable future- and we are going to adhere to that advice. The night fright he had before the big chop, he broke nine blood feathers and bled tremendously. We could have lost him. We have not been able to identify why the frights occur and we cannot isolate a pattern. They do seem entirely random

Since that night (and chop) he now has a 30x18 low flat flight cage. Prevue Hendryx brand, and sparsely furnished. We have placed items on top for him to use as a jungle gym, but everything is modified so that if he were to have a fright there’s much less chance of him damaging his body. He seems to enjoy the security of the new smaller cage as well.

It's a shame that night frights happen to such sweet little creatures! I contacted Obi's regular vet since I took him to the emergency that could get me in right away, and he agreed with the emergency vet's opinion. I'll check back with him to see if he thinks Obi should be clipped routinely like Churchill, as much as I wish for my baby to fly, I want him to be around as long as possible! I'm so glad your Churchill is ok!! I'm always worried about Obi having night frights since I'm a very heavy sleeper, so I have a night light next to his cage and I leave a small gap toward the bottom of his cage cover. He hasn't had any for months aside from this morning. Thanks for the cage recommendation! I think I need to order one of those!

RebeccaZM

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebecca
So to make a long and stressful story short, my 7 month old cockatiel Obi-Wan will most likely be having 'surgery' in the coming days to remove his blood feathers (not permanently), all are broken, on both wings. We spent yesterday and last night at a family member's apartment because we had to have some elements in our furnace replaced (fumes and all that), and the whole day he did wonderfully, talking and serenading my brother. This morning he had a night fright in his bigger travel cage and I think due to the new/unfamiliar environment he didn't calm down right away when he heard my voice, usually he calms as soon as he hears my voice. The bleeding was minimal and stopped quickly but the vet applied styptic powder just in case, and said rather than risk him hurting them more and bleeding again, he would like to put him under some anesthesia tomorrow (depending on Obi's stress) and remove the broken feathers and let him grow new ones.

I was planning on having him sleep in his smaller carrier until he is healed, it's a standard ventilated pet carrier with a grate front, it looks like this.
PETMATE Ruff Maxx Dog & Cat Kennel, Off White/Green, 26-in - Chewy.com

Does anyone have any tips for how to make his healing process as comfortable as possible and how long he might be feeling tender afterwards? I knew beforehand how clumsy baby birds (especially cockatiels) are, does anyone have any tips for keeping him safe while his new flight feathers grow in? Aside from bubble wrap that is, lol (kidding). He is a cuddler but not big on having his wings touched. What would be a good way to work with him on having his wings checked/handled in the future?

Thank you!
EDIT:
The travel cage he was in when the incident occurred was by Prevue, 20 x 12.5 x 15.5.

Attachments

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, as my avian vet advised, there’s too much damage in large cages as well as small cages. She really wanted him in that particular cage I linked, because it’s a good “wing flap” dimension as they need 18 inches wide, a short drop if they fall, and best airflow. It functions as an actual cage and so you can attach food/water/perches.
Churchill no longer is allowed into a small sleeping cage, and he no longer allowed in the huge cage. He now has this cage for sleeping and for anything else cage wise. He still gets many hours outside time, but this cage is *the* cage for him for safety’s sake. And when we travel, this is it too!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I thought that the cage Kuiper was in was adequate. Could spread his wings without hitting the bars but who knows how close he was to cage bars when having a night fright or any other kind of fright. I always leave a light on low at night for both him and Callisto, my other 'tiel. Jaden, who is also downstairs with them, couldn't care less.
If you think he is falling/might fall then pad the bottom of whatever cage he is in with layers of non-pilling fleece or non stringy towels.
They generally seem to outgrow the frights and the feather breakage. My first cockatiel, Smokey, also had issues with breaking blood feathers but that stopped when he was about 2 years old.

RebeccaZM

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebecca
Yes, as my avian vet advised, there’s too much damage in large cages as well as small cages. She really wanted him in that particular cage I linked, because it’s a good “wing flap” dimension as they need 18 inches wide, a short drop if they fall, and best airflow. It functions as an actual cage and so you can attach food/water/perches.
Churchill no longer is allowed into a small sleeping cage, and he no longer allowed in the huge cage. He now has this cage for sleeping and for anything else cage wise. He still gets many hours outside time, but this cage is *the* cage for him for safety’s sake. And when we travel, this is it too!
I'm sold then, thanks so much for sharing! :)

RebeccaZM

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebecca
I thought that the cage Kuiper was in was adequate. Could spread his wings without hitting the bars but who knows how close he was to cage bars when having a night fright or any other kind of fright. I always leave a light on low at night for both him and Callisto, my other 'tiel. Jaden, who is also downstairs with them, couldn't care less.
If you think he is falling/might fall then pad the bottom of whatever cage he is in with layers of non-pilling fleece or non stringy towels.
They generally seem to outgrow the frights and the feather breakage. My first cockatiel, Smokey, also had issues with breaking blood feathers but that stopped when he was about 2 years old.
I'll definitely pad the bottom of his sleeper cage then, definitely worth sacrificing a few towels. Thank you!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll definitely pad the bottom of his sleeper cage then, definitely worth sacrificing a few towels. Thank you!
Make sure that they aren't the kind of towels that get stringy. If you can get some non-pilling fleece and wash that first that would work, too, and might be better. You can also try several layers of paper towels although cotton towels and fleece would be softer and more padded.

RebeccaZM

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebecca
Make sure that they aren't the kind of towels that get stringy. If you can get some non-pilling fleece and wash that first that would work, too, and might be better. You can also try several layers of paper towels although cotton towels and fleece would be softer and more padded.
Would regular towels work if I covered them with paper towels tucked in around the edges?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Would regular towels work if I covered them with paper towels tucked in around the edges?
You would probably be OK with that. The thing with towels is that you want to monitor closely to see if your bird is chewing on them
and they are getting stringy.

RebeccaZM

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebecca
You would probably be OK with that. The thing with towels is that you want to monitor closely to see if your bird is chewing on them
and they are getting stringy.
Got it. And he usually sleeps through the night with no problems so I'll stay up late to monitor him tonight. Thanks for the help!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can always set up a camera to monitor him. Just make sure it doesn't have a light that turns on when it is activated or you can consider covering the light.
I put tape over the light on my Blink camera.

RebeccaZM

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebecca
I actually have been shopping around for a pet cam, I’ll look into Blink! Thanks!