• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

blood feather broken off with base still in

Status
Not open for further replies.

laurencann

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
My cockatiel took off when the door bell rang and just broke a blood feather on the tip of his wing. I have the feather and the bottom is broken staight across. The bleeding has stop for now with some quik stop, but I know you can't use too much of it. If the base is in fact still in the skin, is this an emergency visit?

thanks guys

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Sometimes you won't need to do anything else if it has stopped bleeding even though the base is still in the skin. Sometimes, however, you will if it starts bleeding again. KwikStop can burn the skin. I would suggest packing it some more with Cayenne pepper powder which does a great job of stopping bleeding and also cleans the area and takes away any pain. If you don't have any use flower or corn starch. If it starts bleeding again I would suggest a trip to the vet.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye

laurencann

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
I have never pulled a blood feather, but I saw a presentation on it a couple of weeks ago and I think I could do it. The problem is I don't see anything to pull. the feather that came off, is rough at the end and looks like it broke straight across. So far it is still clotted but he is preening so I am afraid it will start again. We will go out and get some cayenne pepper powder. If the base is still in there and it keeps restarting bleeding, I just want to be able to wait until tomorrow. My avain vet actually has some Sunday hours.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
usually you have to grab the base of the feather with a pair of plier, give a quick yank bank..et voila...however, in this case, I would definitely leave it ad see what your bet has to say tomorrow..quik stop is way too burny for that...cayenne peper, cornstarch or flour are better bets.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you can't clearly see the base of the feather sticking out of the skin I don't think you should fool around with trying to dig it out of there. Leave it to skilled hands to do it right and quickly. Pack it with cayenne and that will stop the bleeding and just keep an eye on it until you can get her to the vet. JMO

laurencann

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Thanks so much for eveyones quick advice. Greatly appreciated!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
One reason not to mess with the base of the feather if it is very close to the skin is that it can break apart as you try to get a good grip on it even with needle nose pliers which could make it more difficult for the vet to extract it. Better to let them do it. :)

Micki

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Micki
I pulled my first one earlier this year. My vet showed me specifically how to do it. I did have the help of my hubby, though.

If you do have to pull it, pull it straight out, DO NOT TWIST, then put gentle pressure on it. Don't put too much pressure; you don't want to break the wing.

laurencann

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Thanks guys, but my problem is there is nothing to pull. So far so good though. I've got the cayenne pepper powder now. Maybe we will get lucky and it will take care of itself. He is such a clutzy flier. Oh Rocko, you little trouble maker :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.