• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blood after laying first egg

meryl2513

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey guys,

I'm new to the site so first of all just wanted to say hi!

I have a 10 month old female lovebird that just laid an infertile egg yesterday. I took away her nest, and she seems to be doing fine. She's eating and drinking normally and even comes out of the cage to play.

However, today I noticed under her perch there was blood near her stool. It's very light colored, but not droplets - more of a little puddle. I'm not sure if this is normal or not because this is her first time laying an egg. (I can attach a picture but didn't know if that was a bit TMI). Her stool now is fine, though. No sign of blood.

It's very hard to get an appointment because I'm in Los Angeles and because of corona most things are shut down. I was just wondering if this was a cause for concern? Obviously any sign of blood is not good, but she is acting completely normal so I was hoping it was just due to stretching possibly. Her vent doesn't look that swollen and she is passing stool regularly (they are larger now because she sits on the egg for a lot of the day).

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Zara She may be able to help you.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Meryl :)

I have had my young girls lay and have a little blood smear on the egg itself but never a little puddle. Are you sure it wasn´t coloured poops after eating fruits?

If you want to post a picture you can.

Larger poops are normal. I would start looking if there are any vets open just incase you spot more bleeding. For now I would monitor closely.

@Mockinbirdiva @Monica @iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Keep monitoring. There can sometimes be some blood after egg laying.
She may lay more eggs, btw. If you take the eggs away she may keep laying until she has a full clutch. Even if you have taken the nest away she might lay more, but, hopefully won't.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Basically what Zara and iamwhoiam said! Monitor her for now but do find a vet in case her behavior change or she has any difficulty laying eggs!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Welcome to the Avenue Meryl :)

I have had my young girls lay and have a little blood smear on the egg itself but never a little puddle. Are you sure it wasn´t coloured poops after eating fruits?

If you want to post a picture you can.

Larger poops are normal. I would start looking if there are any vets open just incase you spot more bleeding. For now I would monitor closely.

@Mockinbirdiva @Monica @iamwhoiam
She's a young bird to be laying and could have ruptured a little blood vessel in her vent when the egg passed through. As the others said, keep an eye on her, make sure she has calcium in her diet. She may lay again so look for any signs of an egg bump and behavior of preparing to lay again.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award