• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Blocked nostril/cere. Advice please!

SamAlexandra

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
I'm going to call my vet first thing in the morning, but I'd really like some advice and ideas what this could be/how it's likely to be treated.

My 11 year old budgie has wet brown feathers above her cere, much worse on her right side, and the nostril on that side isn't visible at all. This has been the case for a number of days (possibly a week) but due to my current circumstances I was only just made aware of it this evening.

She's her usual self, showing no signs of illness, except from sneezing every so often.

Would a vet need to flush out her nostril? Is there anything I can do to help her? Because of covid I don't think owners are allowed into the building with their pets, and she's a nervous bird, usually I hold her if the vet has to examine her so I want to do everything I can to prevent having to leave her alone.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do you have a picture you could post?

Sometimes a bath will fix something like this, blockages that have been left or have built up may need a vet to clear it.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My former budgie was taken to the avian vet with the discolored feathers around cere. The vet checked him over and when he looked into his nasal passage he saw some seed hulls. He got them out with an instrument and gave us antibiotic eye drops to put in his nose. They worked well and were fairly easy to give with tiny syringe. In the meantime keep him in a humid environment.

SamAlexandra

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Do you have a picture you could post?

Sometimes a bath will fix something like this, blockages that have been left or have built up may need a vet to clear it.
This might seem like a odd question, but how exactly would I give her a bath? I'm worried to put any water near her nose in case she inhales it.

And I don't have a picture to post, but I can try to get one tomorrow.

Does anyone know how a vet would clear a blockage? I can't see her nostril on that side at all.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
A shallow dish of water, a clean spray bottle for misting or a wet lettuce leaf hung from cage top is a few ways you can offer a bathing opportunity for your bird.

SamAlexandra

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
My former budgie was taken to the avian vet with the discolored feathers around cere. The vet checked him over and when he looked into his nasal passage he saw some seed hulls. He got them out with an instrument and gave us antibiotic eye drops to put in his nose. They worked well and were fairly easy to give with tiny syringe. In the meantime keep him in a humid environment.
Thank you for sharing, I'm glad your little guy was okay :)
I'm wondering if something has gotten into her nose and the discharge is because it's irritated, rather than an infection. Either way I'm so worried.

She's not living with me at the moment but I've told the person watching her to keep her warm.

SamAlexandra

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
A shallow dish of water, a clean spray bottle for misting or a wet lettuce leaf hung from cage top is a few ways you can offer a bathing opportunity for your bird.
Thank you! I wondered if perhaps wiping her cere with some wet cotton wool would help?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thank you! I wondered if perhaps wiping her cere with some wet cotton wool would help?
You could potentially do damage by trying to do this.
Wet lettuce leaves as suggested are usually a hit to get budgies bathing, they rub their faces on the leaves and it washes them.

SamAlexandra

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
You could potentially do damage by trying to do this.
Wet lettuce leaves as suggested are usually a hit to get budgies bathing, they rub their faces on the leaves and it washes them.
That's what I thought, thanks, I won't do that then. I'll try the lettuce thing tomorrow. She gets freaked out by leaves hanging in the cage (I chop her veg up small) but hopefully the water droplets (which she LOVES) will tempt her to have a bath.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

SamAlexandra

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Update: I've got an appointment with her vet tomorrow morning. He couldn't see her today (unless there's a cancellation later today, then they'll call me) but thinks it'll be fine to wait until tomorrow.

I'm going to try and attach some pictures of her cere, as I'd really like to hear peoples thoughts. I've not experienced this with any of my birds before.

(And I'm trying the lettuce thing, but so far she's just looking at it! )
20200921_140735.jpg 20200921_140841.jpg

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Going off these photos, I would just wait until the vet can take a look. Hopefully you can get in later on.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That looks nasty. Glad you have an appointment. In the photos I see a few pin feathers, is she molting? She could also have her cere turning crusty for hormone surge but I only see one nasal passage open so your concern is valid. Hope vet can clear this up for her.

SamAlexandra

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
We saw the vet this morning. He removed the blockage, said it came out really easily. He doesn't think she needs antibiotics, thinks the build up was caused by a historic issue, and that she's sneezing to try and clear the build up, which was obviously adding to the problem.

Her right nostril was blocked entirely and her left was partially blocked inside too.

She didn't sneeze once during the appointment, and she's not showing any other signs of illness, so he said to monitor her and if she shows any sign of illness/keeps sneezing/the build up starts again, I'll make another appointment and we'll try antibiotics. He said she could have a sinus infection but clearing the blockage could be enough.

I'll add a picture of her cleaned nose:

20200922_104454.jpg

SamAlexandra

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
That looks nasty. Glad you have an appointment. In the photos I see a few pin feathers, is she molting? She could also have her cere turning crusty for hormone surge but I only see one nasal passage open so your concern is valid. Hope vet can clear this up for her.
She had the worst molt I've ever seen this past summer. Never seen so many pin feathers on a budgie before, and there's still quite a lot left. She's no longer shedding feathers though, and the majority of the pins have gone.

And thank you :) Just posted an update on the vet visit.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Great update, she is looking much better! Glad it came out easy, hopefully that means she is not in too much discomfort :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I know she must feel better too. Thanks so much for the update, we so seldom get them.