• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Blizzard

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Blizzard came home yesterday!

IMG_4770.JPG IMG_4771.JPG IMG_4772.JPG IMG_4773.JPG IMG_4774.JPG So cute!

Some questions:

1. How long should I quarantine? (Kiwi and Blizzard were both bred, raised, and sold at the same store, this store would not intentionally sell you a sick bird and all parrots are hand-raised.)

2. Blizzard has five clipped feathers on each wing. The store does this because many people are first time bird owners and they don't want the birds to get up high out of reach of their owner while they haven't established a relationship yet.

3. I would like to verifying that Blizzard is a girl. I think she is but I'm not sure.

More pics coming soon!

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
1. We normally quarantine for 30 days. Of course, this can be shortened if you get the all clear from a vet.
2. That's a shame but it's something you can both work around until the moult.
3. I withhold my opinion on this. (S)He is right at that age where it's not totally clear to me, thinking female though. If you saw Blizzard when younger and the cere was pink then male, if it was blue then female. @Lady Jane?
Love the name BTW. Welcome aboard Blizzard.

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
:yah: Congrats on your new family member!! Blizzard is absolutely adorable! <3 Wishing Blizzard a happy life with his new family!!:starshower1:

BirdBonkers5

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sree
Aww, Blizzard is so cute! :heart:
1. For my budgies, I quarantined them for around 45 days. This time can be shorter or longer depending on where you got the bird from, and, if you take the budgie to the vet, the results.
2. The pet store I got my birds from did this, too. Hopefully Blizzard's feathers grow in and she/he can fly soon! :heart2:
3. You won't really be able to tell the gender until the budgie is at least 8 months. Until then, the colour of the cere is the same for males and females: a pink or violet colour. As the budgie starts to mature, the colour of the cere starts to change according to the gender (blue=male, pink, white, brown=female).

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! She's very cute.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, Blizzard! :)

Love the name...we had a budgie with that name almost two decades ago.
We normally quarantine for 30 days. Of course, this can be shortened if you get the all clear from a vet.
...we do the same...or at least try to. Milton usually puts an end to any quarantine after about 20 days or so...he walks right on in to the quarantine room like he owns the place...which he does...;)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:yah: Blizzard is home! Fantastic!!❤

Welcome to the Avenue little one :)

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Welcome Blizzard!
I quarantined Pichu for 4 weeks, even after the all clear from the vet, but she didn't do any lab testing on him, just a general health check. We were 2 weeks into quarantine then and she said she knew the breeder, she takes birds in and out without quarantining them so the vet didn't trust her birds to be safe. Actually once I got a budgie from that breeder and after 2 week it started shedding bloody feathers, which was a sign for a sickness showing only on chicks, could kill the youngest. Several persons began to report seeing the same in their new bird from her too, but she had no clue because she was selling the babies so hadn't seen the feathers falling and the adults carrying the disease didn't suffer from it. Better safe than sorry..
I can't understand the pet shop clipping feathers on a bird you had put a reservation on, without asking you beforehand if you wanted this done. I find that practice disturbing... they do this per default, as something that has to be done, when we know it doesn't and it is harmful. Hope she won't suffer from it before her first molt..

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
I’ve been waiting for this post.... welcome to the Avenue Blizzard!! :welcomesign:

Such a beautiful birb, congrats!!
I can’t wait to hear how Kiwi and Blizzard get on together. Having 2 budgies is so much fun :)

We also did the 30 day quarantine (actually it was 29 as I caved a day early cuz I was on vaca that week and wanted to start introducing while I’d be home the whole time)
The breeder we got Loki from did the same thing- we found him already clipped when we went to pick him up in June. It is sad to see though, especially now that Jo is flying around and when Loki tries he can’t keep his height up so he always end up going down. Hopefully his flights come back soon. As long as you birb proof the room well it will be ok though- I just actually think it’s scarier when a bird can’t control when and where they’re landing :(

Good luck to you guys, and keep the pics coming!!

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Adorable! I really wish stores and breeders would stop the automatic clipping. Let's hope the first moult gives her back her flight. And I think female as well!
She was actually able to kind of fly from the top of her cage to a little table about 4 feet away! She can't realy fly up yet though :(

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
She was actually able to kind of fly from the top of her cage to a little table about 4 feet away! She can't realy fly up yet though :(
...she'll get there, believe me!

Budgies are determined little souls...they never give up...and they don't know the word "quit"...;)