• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blind Finch?

FinchMaster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amelia
So, last week I was giving my finches fresh food and water. Elrond (zebra finch) was nesting in a food cup, as usual, and I poked him to prod him out. He didn't move, so I just pet him for a little while. Obviously, this is a bad sign, so I scooped him up. He was lethargic and thin, so I started my sick-bird-care routine. I started by giving him water, dripping it onto his beak from my fingers...and he leaned down to drink as if from a water bowl (that wasn't there). Never seen that before.

I then separated him, putting him in one of the hospital cages. I kept giving him food and water by hand for a few days, and he's now eating on his own again. He keeps having little panic attacks where he flutters around wildly without prompt. Also, today when I was cleaning his cage, I decided to test a theory: I waved my hand in front of his face, got like an inch away from him, and he didn't react at all. He did when I touched him though.

Could he be blind...? I have no idea how old he is.

What can I do to make his life more comfortable? I obviously can't put him back in the giant aviary if he can't get around to the food and water.

What I'm Currently Doing:
  • Keeping him in a cage that's about 12 in L x 12 in W x 18 in H
  • Plenty of millet in addition to his regular food
  • Isolated from other finches (but is near them)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
The bill will be high I know I paid her $500 for a zebra finch but I recommend taking him to an avian vet to check it out by examining him your care is fine I do not recommend any test especially spinal tap because he’s so little

FinchMaster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amelia
Ty for the reply!

We can't quite afford to take him to the vet just yet, but he's drastically improved. Apart from being blind (95% sure he is), he's doing well. :) I even put his mate in with him for company, and they're back to snuggling. ❤