• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blind Cockatiel

Sky1220

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi guys, I'm really thankful for everything one here. I just got a blind cockatiel (Ricky), his owner passed away and no one wanted him. Reading everything here has really helped me understand what I should do to help him. But I have a question of my own. Is it okay to let Xander (my year old cockatiel) stay with Ricky? Ricky is the Latino and Xander in the yellow faced

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue :)

I have moved this post and created your own thread to help you get a better response to your question.

How well do these birds get on? What is their relationship like?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Make sure that you keep placement of items in the cage consistent. Food and water should be easily accessible and good idea to get some platform perches. If the two birds get along then OK to keep them together but if not best to separate them. You will have to monitor very closely. How big is that cage? You need to consider that with the blind 'tiel.
BTW, quarantining the new bird from your other bird would have been a good idea but looks as if it's too late for that.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a blind 'tiel with a sighted cagemate and they do great. The only thing I'd watch for is that tiels have a lot of nonverbal communication that of course your blind bird won't be able to pick up on. Sometimes this leads to some hissing and pecking between my boys, but nothing major. I'd just be careful it doesn't lead to any major aggression issues.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Do they already know Each other? If they have known Each other for some time and lived together with no issues, I would say it is fine. But if they don't know Each other het, I would be very careful.
I have a blind lovebird, rescued when she was already blind so she didn't know me of my other lovebirds. She seemed very sweet, but now she is getting braver and a few weeks ago she ventured on the floor, where my lovie Fëanor was sitting by the closet which hé loves to hide behind. The blind lovie approached Fëanor, who was not sure what was happening because the blind lovie did not respond to his body language. She ended up attacking him, thankfully I was close by and Fëanor didn't really fight back, but still. I believe Xena(the blind lovie) didn't want To fight, but just didn't understand why she couldn't go past him. Fëanor in his turn was very insecure because hé told her to back off with huis body language but she did not respond at all. So a miscommunication, but it could have had big concequences.
A lot of the time they are alright together, but that is because they mostly ignore Each other and live peacefully that way.
Your case could be very different, but maybe my experience can help you a little bit:)
Thank you for rescueing him, I would love to hear more about him as time goes by!