• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Bleeding Toe!

HNHOBU

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah
Hello,

My bird's toe got trapped under my computer chair and he is injured. The toe nail is still intact, but it's hard for me to see where the injury is. It is somewhere around the pad of his toe. I have been unable to completely stop the bleeding but I have been able to suppress it with flour. However, if the flour gets removed or he moves his toe it will start to bleed again. I currently have his toe covered in flour, and he's wrapped up so that he can't move.

I live in Montreal, Quebec and the only vet in the area has closed. I know of an emergency clinic, but my husband is not home and I cannot get to it at the current time.

Cassette (my bird) is annoyed, but still responsive. I don't think that he's lost too much blood. I plan on leaving him like this for about another hour, and then I'm going to unwrap him and see if the bleeding has stopped even more.

Does anybody else have any other advice or anything? I'm really worried here.

Cassette is a 1 year old Lovebird.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
If you have cornstarch, it may be more effective than flour in clotting up the wound.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you have any cayenne pepper? If so make a paste and apply to wound. You make have to just hold some pressue on it for several minutes. I hope he is OK!

HNHOBU

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah
I was trying corn starch, but it didn't seem to work as well... but perhaps it was my method of applying it. I'm going to give him a few minutes to rest the way that he is and then I'll put some cornstarch on it.

Why Cayenne pepper? I don't think that I have any, but my neighbor might.

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
I agree with Judy, you may need to apply pressure. That usually stops bleeding on any critter and us.

The idea behind cornstarch or flour or even cayenne pepper is that the cellulose fibers expand and clog the wound eventually. But if it is bleeding heavily, pressure is needed to stop the heavy bleeding.

Don't wash off the flour or whatever you use. It will wear off or he will clean his foot when he is ready.

I hope your little guy feels better soon. If he is not continually dripping blood, just let him sit and relax. They often know what they need to do.

HNHOBU

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah
Thank you guys. I'm still worried the wound s going to be too deep for me to be able to stop the bleeding but I think that it just needs time to sit in the corn starch. I dont have cayenne pepper sadly.

HNHOBU

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah
So I think I stopped the bleeding, meaning that it's not getting any worse and it's not transferring to whatever he steps on. However, it still look red. Is that normal? Hes walking and perching just fine, so I assume that he's not injured very severely.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Sounds like he shoud be fine,just keep an eye on him in case the bleeding starts again.:hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
How's Cassette doing now, Hannah?

HNHOBU

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah
He's fine. It scabbed up and is not healing. We don't allow him on the floor or anything yet, though. We don't want the wound to open and for him to get an infection.