• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Bleeding pin feather help!

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
So I was trying to preen Ms. Bailey using the video tutorials I saw on YouTube. I went to pop a pin feather. I thought it was ready. It was light in color and it started bleeding. It was only a little bit but it still freaked me out. I put a generous amount of kwick stop on it and it seems to have stopped bleeding but I’m still worried. The pin is now dark red. Should I contact the emergency vet? I feel horrible.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If the bleeding has stopped you don’t have to worry.

Although helping with pins is awesome fun I only do it if they’re bothering my bird and only the ones he can’t get to himself.

Did you bird make an awful sound or snap at you? Lol

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
If the bleeding has stopped you don’t have to worry.

Although helping with pins is awesome fun I only do it if they’re bothering my bird and only the ones he can’t get to himself.

Did you bird make an awful sound or snap at you? Lol
Thank you

I only did it because she kept gesturing toward it like she wanted me to get it. I’m still nervous to pop those. I might stick to just massaging her for a while. My sweet girl only flinched and looked up at me before tilting her head back down for more scritches. She’s my gentle giant. That’s when I noticed the pin was red. I just feel so bad. It doesn’t seem to be bleeding anymore and it didn’t seem to hurt her that much. It wasn’t bleeding too much either, just a small bit on my finger when I touched it. In fact, she seemed to enjoy me applying the kwick stop lol but I still felt terrible that I accidentally hurt my poor baby.:crycry:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Boy you’re lucky!

I just have to think about preening the wrong feather and I get grumbled at and my fingers squished :laugh:

Have a good study of the pins and you’ll see the older ones that are ready to pop do have a slightly different appearance. If in doubt then leave it.
I always start at the actual end of the feather and work my way down towards the skin- you start to feel the difference on those that aren’t quite ripe lol

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
Boy you’re lucky!

I just have to think about preening the wrong feather and I get grumbled at and my fingers squished :laugh:

Have a good study of the pins and you’ll see the older ones that are ready to pop do have a slightly different appearance. If in doubt then leave it.
I always start at the actual end of the feather and work my way down towards the skin- you start to feel the difference on those that aren’t quite ripe lol
:laughing7: Danny and Shades are more likely to snip at me but Ms. Bailey’s always been sweet and gentle. That’s good to know. I’ll just massage her pins for now until I have a better understanding of pins.