• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Bleeding in pregnant lovebird, HELP

Harlehd

Meeting neighbors
Good day
So I just figured out that my new lovebird, River, is actually a female and not a male based on pregnancy symptoms I noticed earlier on my other bird, Baby P. I noticed that River is pregnant on Friday morning, today while I was chasing her to get her back to the cage she freaked out and fell down over her belly twice, after which I found her poop being bloody, literally with fresh blood, however, the amount is not that much.
I examined her rear and tried to feel for the egg if it is broken or so, and didn't find something worrisome, but I'm super worried as with my previous experience with Baby P's pregnancy and egg laying there was no bleeding at all.

Is this normal? Or trauma related?
What should I do?
We certainly don't have an avian vet in the country unfortunately.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am very sorry you do not have access to an avian vet. Birds do not get pregnant, but they can get egg-bound. This is very serious and usually requires vet care immediately. And even with vet care it is very dangerous for the bird. I do not know how to help but I will tag other members who may have more guidance.

@Zara @Hankmacaw

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
We certainly don't have an avian vet in the country unfortunately.
Do you have a normal vet that will attend birds?
That is better than nothing.

This is definitely one of those situations where a vet visit is as much as you can do.

If there was an egg forming inside and it got broken, it is very dangerous for her.

Going forward, don´t chase any hen when they are about to lay, if you have problems getting them back in their cage, then don´t let them out for a day or two while they lay it.

Harlehd

Meeting neighbors
Do you have a normal vet that will attend birds?
That is better than nothing.

This is definitely one of those situations where a vet visit is as much as you can do.

If there was an egg forming inside and it got broken, it is very dangerous for her.

Going forward, don´t chase any hen when they are about to lay, if you have problems getting them back in their cage, then don´t let them out for a day or two while they lay it.
She laid the egg last night, she bled a little before she laid it, but luckily no more bleeding afterwards. The egg is not broken.
It seems she formed another one now.
Lesson to be learned, never get the hen out of her cage until she is done with laying her egg.
I believe that the bleeding is related to the trauma though.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It seems she formed another one now.
My girls look sort of puffy down under the tail after laying an egg, it can easily be mistaken for another egg by a novice. But I iwll say, hens lay eggs every 24-48 hours until the clutch is complete. So expect another egg until she has passed that time period.

I believe that the bleeding is related to the trauma though.
This is very concerning.
Did you reach out to any vets?

Harlehd

Meeting neighbors
My girls look sort of puffy down under the tail after laying an egg, it can easily be mistaken for another egg by a novice. But I iwll say, hens lay eggs every 24-48 hours until the clutch is complete. So expect another egg until she has passed that time period.

This is very concerning.
Did you reach out to any vets?
No I haven't as I haven't noticed anything abnormal since the incident. Plus, the available vets i visited in the past for my other birds clearly stated to me that they have zero knowledge in avian vet