• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bleeding hearts shouldn't be allowed on Kijiji!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please talk me out of adopting this 19-year-old female mealy amazon.
Anything. Give me horror stories. Tell me how fast I'd be evicted with an Amazon in my duplex. Show me your worst bites. Come directly into my home and punch me in the face! :hilarious:

You can probably see me falling in love through the screen. She's just so cute. And cheap! Dang, you can't get a conure around here for $500 let alone a 'zon!

MBS is coming for me like a freight train. And here I am, lying across the tracks.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh dear... you came HERE to be talked out of it? Naughty Hrafn, naughty Hrafn! :rofl:

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I've had to create rules for myself - objectives on a list. I have to tick all the boxes before I can bring home another bird.

However, you have already seen that sweet face and felt your heart beat for that being's soul. It may be too late for you.
Good luck!
:goodluck::thumbsup::oops2::shh:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ah dang, mealys ARE the gentle giants of amazons! Well jeez, now what excuse do I have? :D
The most dangerous thing is that I could drop that $500 so fast. The emergency vet fund has been refilled, I've got groceries, everyone just got fresh bags of food...heck, $1000 and I get her, the cage and all her stuff!

I think the worst part is that I first saw that sweet 'zon when she was first posted to kijiji over a week ago, and she's somehow still there!

testing-me.gif

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I do not envy you. :angel4:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Why are they finding her a new home? Would another bird take away your attention from the birds you already have? Stuff to ponder....
Apparently it's because they're moving and they just can't take her along. :rolleyes:
Too common a story for parrots around here, everyone's either moving or having a baby. It breaks my heart.

Oh, don't worry, I'm pondering! :D I'm very much an act-before-you-think sort of person, so as a kid I sort of trained myself to screech to a halt where animals are concerned. I was very bad for impulse buying back then. I think the only kids I've snatched up on impulse in the last 15 years were Sprite the garage sale girl, and Taco, but that was to get him out of a bad situation and rehome him (which I...did not end up doing lmao).
It's been a week since this amazon was offered up for sale, and I've been wheedling myself all week to consider how she might fit in if I possibly took her in lol. She won't be a headlong adoption. I'm being much more careful than I seem, I promise!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What are you holding out for? You know you are going to bring her home so you may as well do it sooner rather than later, lol. Sorry, I forgot I was meant to be talking you out of this, hahaha.

If you have the time and space and you feel she needs to be somewhere experiencing a lovely life like Taco has been, then I do not know what you are waiting for. It sounds like she has caught your eye and stolen your heart!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
In your heart, you know the answer. You know what's needed in a physical sense...cage, space, financial responsibilities....and you alone know if you are able to care for another bird along with your current flock...:heart:

You know what all of us think...;)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Ah dang, mealys ARE the gentle giants of amazons! Well jeez, now what excuse do I have? :D
The most dangerous thing is that I could drop that $500 so fast. The emergency vet fund has been refilled, I've got groceries, everyone just got fresh bags of food...heck, $1000 and I get her, the cage and all her stuff!

I think the worst part is that I first saw that sweet 'zon when she was first posted to kijiji over a week ago, and she's somehow still there!

View attachment 282038
Do you need help untying yourself from the tracks or tying yourself on to the tracks? Talk to @Clueless about 'zons. Don't talk to me - I'm seriously ill with MBS already.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
haha a mealy.....the only reason I'd want to talk you out of him is so I could get him myself. But since you're in Canada I couldn't anyway.
So I'm no help at all.
I just love amazons.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do you need help untying yourself from the tracks or tying yourself on to the tracks? Talk to @Clueless about 'zons. Don't talk to me - I'm seriously ill with MBS already.
No help here..... but be aware that a mealy is loud. At least, the one i met at a rescue event was. He seemed to like me, the foster mom said he HATED her (bit her as she tried to skritch thru bars). If I put my hands close he would learn on the bars for a skritch. When I walked away, he hollered LOUD!

This was just after we took in the 2 amazons. I was worried my guys would be loud.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
No help here..... but be aware that a mealy is loud.
yeah, but most amazons are only loud for a few minutes a day. My girls like to yell for maybe 5 minutes or less after breakfast and usually another brief time later in the day.
They are my quietest birds (although not a major accomplishment here).

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
@hrafn What's her name? You could always go and meet her. Who knows, the two of you might not hit it off at all & you could be fretting for nothing.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
You guys are all enablers!! :rofl:

I did consider the noise, and listened to a lot of videos of Mealys doing their jungle call, but I mean, I have a macaw. He shatters sound barriers when he wants to. :hilarious:

@faislaq her name isn't on the ad, for some reason. I haven't struck up a conversation yet because that would send me straight into the path of the train, lmao. But I'm so dang curious! I just wanna know everything about her. Have they had her all 19 years? What's her favourite food? Does she think she's a bird or a human? Does she come out of her cage? Tell meeeeeee!

Literally the entire ad is:
"Beautiful Mealy Parrot to be rehomed. She is dna female..in good health..19 yrs old..says a few words and whistles alot. She is looking for an experienced parrot home. She has a very large cage and alot of toys. Asking 500.00 without cage and 1000.00 with cage and everything."

Like BOI give me the info!

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I haven't struck up a conversation yet because that would send me straight into the path of the train, lmao.
I can email them... so if her name is beautiful or something awful, whether they've raised her from a baby or only had her 3 years & don't know her background, or whether she only sleeps in her cage or never comes out so I can tell you not to bother. :angel2:

Status
Not open for further replies.