• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Bleeding beak?!

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
There is a small dot of blood inside my conure's beak. It's easily visible as she has a horn beak, and it has grown larger over the past three days. She seems perfectly healthy, but this is worrying me. It looks like it's inside the bone? Possibly a ruptured blood vessel? No blood has come out, and it's a very small dot, the size of a nailhead.

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
get into the vet

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Are there any toys or things that she may have caused a puncture injury with? My gccs are perpetually getting into and up to mischief .... it sometimes is almost like they know exactly what they should not do. I'd err on the side of caution and have her checked - better safe than sorry.

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
It's almost a month later and she still has the dot. It's faded to dark blueish purple. She seems in no distress or harm. My mother has refused to get her vet care, and I can't drive, but she seems perfectly normal. Could it be just a blood blister?

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
It's almost a month later and she still has the dot. It's faded to dark blueish purple. She seems in no distress or harm. My mother has refused to get her vet care, and I can't drive, but she seems perfectly normal. Could it be just a blood blister?
It could be a bruise if she got really wild with a toy or something. It can take a while to heal like a bruise, while I'm sure it was uncomfortable for her it sounds like it's healing well on its own. Is there any visible defect in the beak?

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
If it's been a month, I wouldn't worry too much about it. At the time it was probably a bruise that caused a little bleeding in the beak, but by now any injury is long since healed; the blood spot will remain visible until it grows out. Kind of like when you get red spots on a fingernail after bruising your finger.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that it is healing but, in the future, if your bird is injured or ill then it's important that you take her to the vet. You should discuss this with your mom and let her know how important it is to take our birds in for check ups as well as health issues/injuries.