• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Bleeding and trouble pooping after cloacal swab

Status
Not open for further replies.

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
:hug8: Thanks for the update. You might consider for today, trying to give her lighter colored foods for the time being (though I do understand the idea behind the berries), just to make sure it was the berries dying her poo and not blood (blood in the stool will give it a dark tarry color). :hug8:

Ariahna

Sprinting down the street
Thanks for the suggestion Erika. I have never given hand feeding formula but I think giving him soft food with lots of nutrition is what is best for him. Last night his vet mentioned that if he wasn't eating today that we could try force feeding him formula but that doesn't seem necessary but I think I will stop by the pet store and try to find some and I hope he will eat it without being forced.

He is still spending a lot of time preening and picking at his vent but it looks clear from what I can see (no dried blood or feces) and when I get back home I plan to take him outside and give him a good bath and hopefully I can get a better look when he's wet.

Last edited:

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Sending prayers for you and PJ :heart::heart:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Thinking of PJ this morning and sending encouragement and prayers he continues to improve. :hug8:

Ariahna

Thank you! This birdie has caused me more worry and concern than I ever dreamed possible. :D

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
The urates look like there is an infection in the kidneys, and the blood in the urine is from uric acid crystal cutting into the kidneys. I would ask the vet about showing you how to do SUB-Q fluids so that he does not go into renal failure, and ask about prescribing allopurinol.

From the healthfood store corn silk extract added to the water id soothing to the kidneys. If he will also eat any cranberries this will help.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
saying prayers that they can figure out what is going is on, you are doing wonderful with everything you are going through

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
:hug8::hug8:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Many :hug8: for PJ

Ariahna

Thanks again all you wonderful roadies! Here's a quick update. Things are looking a little better. His vent area definitely looks a little red and sore, but he's not picking at it as much. He does seem to strain a little to poo but they look a little better. I still see a little blood but the vet said that could be expected for about 24 hours. I have fresh parchment paper down tonight and hopefully it will look much better than this morning's did.

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
wow, poor you, sure having lots of stress taking your birds to the vet. Are you sure they know what they are doing? First little Max and now PJ.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I'm so glad P.J. seems to be doing better. The poops do look a lot better! Poor little guy. Give him some scritches for me :)

Ariahna

wow, poor you, sure having lots of stress taking your birds to the vet. Are you sure they know what they are doing? First little Max and now PJ.
Well Dr. Smith is really sweet, she is just a new avian vet. I think she cares a lot, but I do think that maybe the swab used on PJ's cloacal area was too big and that may have been why he was bleeding and is so sore. I had no idea that something like this was even possible, just like I had no idea that Max could have bleeding from his nostrils from a simple well bird exam. These guys have given me so many grey hairs :lol: but I love them dearly, and I can't imagine life without them now. I do wish that I didn't have this sort of bad luck (unintended side effects) when I think I am doing the right thing being a new bird owner.

I am so lucky to have all of you though, it has made going through this a little easier. Most people I know don't know anything about birds at all, and don't understand my deep love for these new members of my family. :heart:

Euphoria

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
this is one of the times that poop is nice to see.. it looks much better then the first couple pictures .. maybe he was backed up.. can birds get constipated from antibiotics??

Ariahna

this is one of the times that poop is nice to see.. it looks much better then the first couple pictures .. maybe he was backed up.. can birds get constipated from antibiotics??
Well she stuck two different swabs in before the test swab. The first one was covered in feces, so that cleaned him out somewhat. The second was covered in blood, and then the test one (sample swab) had a lot of blood on it too. I think he was just sooooo sore from all those swabs being up in there and turned around that it caused immediate inflammation so that he couldn't go even though he probably felt like he needed to. I'm just glad that I acted fast and got the anti-inflammatory quickly or things might have really got backed up in there. :(

I'm pretty worried about the side effects of the meds though on his liver and kidneys so I will be adding milk thistle seeds and lots of cranberries and a probiotic to his diet.

Euphoria

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
awww poor baby. maybe next if she has to a do something like that again encourage her to use a smaller swab maybe? i remember u saying she was new... i know u are a nervous wreck and i remember what it use to feel like being a first time bird owner.. not to mention everything being more of a obstacle when trying to do something good for them.. im glad hes feeling better. give him kisses and lots of love from me and sunni

Ariahna

Thank you Kat. :heart:

I wondered about the size of it, but I thought she knew what she was doing. I didn't know until today when I researched it that there are all types of sizes of swabs, and how it is so important to pick the right one. Unfortunately I am learning as I go too, but next time I will speak up if I see something going in that hole that looks too big.

Paula

Walking the driveway
... I didn't know until today when I researched it that there are all types of sizes of swabs, and how it is so important to pick the right one. Unfortunately I am learning as I go too, but next time I will speak up if I see something going in that hole that looks too big.
Thanks for passing on this info about swabs -- I didn't know there were different sizes either!

My vet warns me that there could be a bit of bloody droppings after a cloacal swab. Never saw any until Cheera's swab; two blood drops and she seemed to strain a bit to poop. Without the warning, I would have been hysterical.

Hope PJ is doing better. :)

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Holy cow, you are having all kinds of bad luck with vet visits. :eek: I am so relieved that PJ is on the mend. Poor guy - he's been through a lot. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.