• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Bleeding and trouble pooping after cloacal swab

Status
Not open for further replies.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Poops are looking a lot better. Hopefully things go better from here on out

Ariahna

Sprinting down the street
Well the blood in his stool has pretty much stopped although I think I see a little from time to time still three full days later. His vent looks bad though, and sometimes when he poops it looks like some sticks to his feathers. He is still preening and picking at his vent some and I am a little worried. I would have thought this would have all resolved by now.

I am still adding slippery elm to his water, and putting cayenne pepper on his food. I have also been adding some probiotic (AviBios) to his wet food to help replenish the good bacteria in his digestive track since he's been on an antibiotic for the last nine days. Does anyone have any suggestions to help with the vent healing? I thought about a paste of cayenne down there but I didn't know it that would promote healing of the tissue or not.

I seriously hope there wasn't some really bad damage done inside him. I really don't want to take him back to the vet again, he's been through enough in the last three weeks. :(

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I would wash it with warm sterile water and anti-bacterial Dawn soap, rinse well and then I would make a cayenne pepper paste and put some on it. I'm almost afraid to ask what does your vet say, because I'm not sure she knows what she's doing. Have you called U of K to see what they would suggest?

Ginger

Blackford

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tyne
I just want to cuddle PJ and never let go. You are right. He has gone through so much. And you too!! I hope that IF there is any damage inside that you can help fix it WITHOUT another trip to the vet...

Ariahna

Thanks for the suggestion Ginger, I will give that a shot tomorrow. Yeah, at this point I am avoiding any more vet visits for a while.

:hug8: to you all. :heart:

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Ariahna, don't go back to that vet. I hope things continue to improve. It is amazing to me how much more we bird people know compared to the vets to whom we entrust our little birds lives.

Katherine:heart:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
DO NOT USE ANTI BACTERIAL SOAP!! It is dangerous to birds. Here:The Dangers & Health Consequences Associated with the Use of Antibacterial Products Use only the orignal Dawn.
I would wash it with warm sterile water and anti-bacterial Dawn soap, rinse well and then I would make a cayenne pepper paste and put some on it. I'm almost afraid to ask what does your vet say, because I'm not sure she knows what she's doing. Have you called U of K to see what they would suggest?

Ginger

Last edited:

Ariahna

Here is what his vent looks like. His appointment was on Wednesday and he didn't stop really passing blood until yesterday. This just doesn't look good to me, and he's had two baths today.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I have used antibacterial soap since I've had birds to wash dishes with, I'm not sure what the problem is with it. That article makes it sound like your birds are going to drop dead immediately. And I don't think using it once or twice on a wound is going to hurt them, and in fact could help with "R" wording the bacterial growth. Obviously you want to rinse well with hot water for the dishes and also rinse your birds boo boo well after washing it.

Which vet are you going to see? I don't think I would ever go back to the inexperienced young woman, but would head for the U of K guys making sure I didn't have a vet in training.

Ginger

Ariahna

Great suggestions. I need to check the first aid kit I bought, I wonder if it has one of those two products in it. That Harrison's product sounds like something I need to keep on hand. Thanks!

P.S. I just called the vet's office to find out if the results are in yet.....tapping my fingers impatiently. :D

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
How is that Sweetheart? I am saying little prayers for you guys throughout the day.

Ginger

Ariahna

Thank you Ginger. He seems to be feeling better. He was playing with toys a lot yesterday, even being a little "hormonal" with a few of them, so I am guessing that is a good thing. I don't think he would act like that if his vent was still hurting him, but who knows....he is a boy! :lol:

Ariahna

Okay great news. PJ's test results came back as negative for avian herpes virus. Dr Smith said the same lab could possibly run the Chlamydia test on the swabs they have, and I told her to call them and proceed with that. She agrees that he doesn't show any of the signs of chlamydia but I wouldn't mind ruling it out, especially if it doesn't require another vet visit. She said we could also run the tests for PBFD and Polyoma Virus but those are both blood tests. I told her I would do that down the road but not now, besides PJ doesn't show signs of either of those diseases either but I don't mind ruling them out, but not right now.....I won't put PJ through any more stress right now.

The lump that had started to appear back on the under side of PJs tongue after his oral surgery left as quickly as it showed up. I am guessing whatever that was, the antibiotic he was put on took care of it. Thank goodness I have a hair appointment on Saturday to cover back up these grey hairs. :lol:

P.S. She was fine with the aloe treatment if I can find some that does not contain any alcohol.

Last edited:

Blackford

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tyne
That is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go PJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dancing:

Does this mean he can rejoin the household?! I bet that will cheer him up no end :dancing:

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
So glad, he's been thru a lot.:)

parrotluv

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
That is wonderful news! You might find an aloe plant at a local plant nursery, and then this way you will have some on hand at all times. You just break off a stem and sqeeze the gel out, great stuff for burns or wounds.

Ariahna

Yes Tyne, he can rejoin the other birds now. He has been moved back into the living room and he is so much happier. Isn't it funny how they just really know where they are supposed to be. He was so happy tonight playing and eating in the kitchen again. That is a great idea about the cactus plant, heading to a nursery tomorrow. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.