• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Bleeding and trouble pooping after cloacal swab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariahna

Sprinting down the street
Since the testing for papillomavirus was not done when PJ had his surgery on the 11th, I took him in today for choanal and cloacal swabs that will be sent to the Veterinary Molecular Diagnostics Lab in Ohio. I should get the results early next week. The appointment was at 4:00 p.m. and by 5:10 he had still not pooped, although he did the position thing several times, so I kept thinking he would. I called the vet and she put together some Meloxicam (anti-inflammatory and pain med) so ran back there to pick that up. At 5:30, after the medicine, he finally had a poop and it looked like this.

It's just one worry after another with these guys. He hasn't had any other poops since this one. :(

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Gosh Sweetie, that does not look good, I would get back on the phone and tell your vet that he's having serious problems pooing and when he goes it's bloody. Don't take no for an answer, he needs to be seen and they need to do it for free since it seems to be caused by what they did. I am worried. Call them now.

Ginger

Shyra

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope he starts feeling better and that the swabbing didn't cause any serious damage. Have you called back to talk to the vet or maybe called another one if that one is closed to see what they say?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
This needs to go into the 911 section. I just contacted Marie to move it.

Ginger

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor baby,I hope your able to get him back to the vet.

Blackford

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tyne
Oh no :( Poor PJ is having a hard time :(

Has he done another poo yet? I have no idea if a different type of poo after a swab would be normal at all? IE slightly runny, or small etc :(

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I hope You have called the Vet and told them about this:hug8::hug8::hug8:Keep Us posted!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Poor P.J. :( And poor you for going through more stress. :hug8:

Keep us updated!

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi.

If you have slippery elm powder mix 1tsp SE to 4 tsp water and feed to your bird. The slippery elm will coat the GI tract. You can also put cayenne pepper on your birds food to help control any internal bleeding. Your vet may give you Sulcrate by prescription.

What did your vet suggest?

Gary

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Ariahna

I put some Cayenne pepper on his dinner and he ate a little bit then that is when he first started acting like he was going to poo but didn't. He has pooped four times in the last hour. I put parchment paper down and it is just urates and blood. :(

I'm hoping the anti-inflammatory is starting to work. But he's been preening/picking at his vent since we got home. I'm sure it hurts. I just hope the pain medicine starts to work, but I am happy that I called before they closed to get that. I wish the vet would have thought to give him some medicine before we left there, since she had blood on the swab when we were there so she knew there was pain and bleeding there. I swear I have had the worst luck with trying to care for my birds. :(

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Poor PJ... I am so sorry you guys are going through this..... :hug8::hug8:

Sending up prayers for PJ to get all better quick!

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Glad you got him in, hope everythings better tomorrow. :hug8:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
From the pictures the amount of blood looks minimal. The meloxicam is a double edged sword, it helps with pain and reduces inflammation but it also thins the blood. Hope all returns to normal tomorrow morning. Meloxicam

Gary

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Still saying prayers for PJ. If he's not any better this morning I would get him to the vets at U of K. See the head guy not an intern.

Ginger

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
sending love and positive energies for PJ :hug8:

Ariahna

Thank you everyone. His vet called last night at 9:30 and as of that time there was still no stool portion to his droppings, just urates and blood. This morning though, there was stool finally so that is good. It looks really dark, but the last thing I got him to eat yesterday was berries. I was trying to make sure he ate something soft and with plenty of water to keep him hydrated. He is eating this morning and the vet should be calling me any time. I have also e-mailed her the pictures.

Thanks for the info on the Meloxicam Gary, once I am sure that he is going to pass his stools okay I will probably stop that medicine. He's already on an anti-biotic and I hate giving him all this medicine if it's not absolutely necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.