• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Bleeding... Again

pleasehelpus

Checking out the neighborhood
This happened before about a year ago, if I had to guess around the same time as now, after my canary's molt (stopped seeing loose tail feathers in/around his cage).

What happened was he bites his back, but he doesn't know when to stop and it got to the point where he started bleeding a little, but I sat the whole day trying to get it to stop, tearing but it kind of worked. Woke up the next morning, everything was fine, I went out for a bit, came back and there were 2-3 drops of blood and this time it looked worse, I took it to the vet. They said if I wanted to cremate him but I couldn't bare to lose him, I didn't think it was that serious.

They did surgery on him and he pulled through and got better, although there was a weird lump on his back which I guess was the injury he caused himself, but he was better.

Fast forward about a year, some of his tail feathers are dropping, but I notice he keeps going at one, but I thought nothing of it and rather assumed he was trying to groom himself, etc. About a week ago, I realized that he was harming himself again. So again I kept him by my side more to keep an eye on him, gave him fruits/veggies to distract him when I noticed he wouldn't stop. Eventually again, he stopped and I assumed he was better.

Now, I came back home from school and there are three drops of blood in his cage. I found out my father was here and he cut some of his back feathers, about 2/4 or 3/4 is length is left and applied a little neosporin from what he told me.

Currently, I think my canary is trying to pull out a lose feather from what I've just seen, but I'm afraid he'll cause himself to start bleeding again.

Honestly, I'm getting too stressed, this is my first pet and I never would have thought to be stressed and care so much for something so little, yet he's precious to me and I hate seeing him like this, but I don't want to take his life. What do you reckon I should do? Have any one else had a similar situation?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Honestly, I'm getting too stressed, this is my first pet and I never would have thought to be stressed and care so much for something so little, yet he's precious to me and I hate seeing him like this, but I don't want to take his life. What do you reckon I should do?
I'm sorry about your situation. All of us here understand how you feel about your bird because you're right. He's not just a bird. He's your bird.

No sense beating around the bush with this kind of thing. This is a decision only you can make. There is no right or wrong. It's one of those defining moments in life. We grow from whatever decision we make. It boils down to quality of life. When there is none what's the purpose of prolonging it?

Have faith ---> Faith | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Your baby is doing what is called self-mutilating very little is known about the cause and there are few treatments. His size presents certain difficulties in treating him.

Please take him to the vet again ASAP and ask him for an antibiotic and a depressant like Xanax. Find out from the vet if he can help you put a teeny collar on your bird.

pleasehelpus

Checking out the neighborhood
I'm sorry about your situation. All of us here understand how you feel about your bird because you're right. He's not just a bird. He's your bird.

No sense beating around the bush with this kind of thing. This is a decision only you can make. There is no right or wrong. It's one of those defining moments in life. We grow from whatever decision we make. It boils down to quality of life. When there is none what's the purpose of prolonging it?

Have faith ---> Faith | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Your baby is doing what is called self-mutilating very little is known about the cause and there are few treatments. His size presents certain difficulties in treating him.

Please take him to the vet again ASAP and ask him for an antibiotic and a depressant like Xanax. Find out from the vet if he can help you put a teeny collar on your bird.
Thank you both very much, it means a lot to me for the help and the words, more than you both can imagine.

I never would have considered self-mutilating to be the case at all, I try to do everything I can to make him happy. I'm surprised the vet didn't consider this to be the case the first time.

Thanks again to the both of you