• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bleach with cockatiel?

pepsix

Moving in
Real Name
Nuala Scott
Hi all,
I spilt milk on my wooden floor and panicked so i got bleach and basically just sprayed it all where the milk was when I soaked it up with an old tee. I did not dilute the bleach with water literally just poured it on floor and wiped. My cockatiel was at the other end of my room and I didn't think much of it after 10 or so mins. Then I got such a strong wiff of bleach that I instantly knew I had to get rid of it asap. So i sprayed loads of water onto it and just wiped but i can still smell it, tho not as strong. I moved my cockatiel even further away from the smell and i haven't seen any signs of illness (tail bobs, sneezing,). I am still concerned and do not know what to do and really need help on how to go forward as there is still the smell of the bleach. i also put on cockatiel sounds and she is someimes tweeting back but she,s perched on her food bowl right now.
Please get back to me asap if youbhave any tips thanks

pepsix

Moving in
Real Name
Nuala Scott
Also i have my window wide open

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Air the place out really well and maybe go over the area you poured bleach with a few more lots of clean fresh water. Once the smell is gone you should be ok. I tend to not use any of those items in my birds area ever and that way I never stress - his area is only ever cleaned with hot water or F10sc as they are bird safe and totally fine to use around birds.

pepsix

Moving in
Real Name
Nuala Scott
Air the place out really well and maybe go over the area you poured bleach with a few more lots of clean fresh water. Once the smell is gone you should be ok. I tend to not use any of those items in my birds area ever and that way I never stress - his area is only ever cleaned with hot water or F10sc as they are bird safe and totally fine to use around birds.
Thank you so much Shezbug, I have the window wide open already and I'll spray it down with water a few more times as you suggested l!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have never heard of anyone using bleach on spilled milk, but ok. Fill a mop bucket with water and mop over the area to be sure all residue has gone.

Next time for minor spills, soak with paper (kitchen roll or toilet roll) or a cloth, then in a spray bottle fill it with water and add a teaspoon of dishsoap (dawn, fairy), shake it and use it to spray over the area, and use a cloth or kitchen roll to clean.
I always have this mix in a spray bottle on hand for minor messes - incredibly cheap, and much safer than commercial products for us and our animal companions.

pepsix

Moving in
Real Name
Nuala Scott
I have never heard of anyone using bleach on spilled milk, but ok. Fill a mop bucket with water and mop over the area to be sure all residue has gone.

Next time for minor spills, soak with paper (kitchen roll or toilet roll) or a cloth, then in a spray bottle fill it with water and add a teaspoon of dishsoap (dawn, fairy), shake it and use it to spray over the area, and use a cloth or kitchen roll to clean.
I always have this mix in a spray bottle on hand for minor messes - incredibly cheap, and much safer than commercial products for us and our animal companions.
Sure look Zara the bleach was handy at the time I couldn't of used nothing else other than it