• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blackened Feather Tips

StarTrick

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Zoe
Hey again! I'm copying this over from FB since the eclectus groups I'm in don't seem very concerned by the darkening feathers, even though there very much seems to be something going on.

Hi everyone, this is a big one! My male Eclectus, Luca, was rescued when he was a baby on a terrible diet. His feather quality was pretty awful, but when he finally moulted we finally got to see his gorgeous, vibrant feathers.

Our chop at the time of the moult wasn't the best, we weren't providing enough fresh fruits either. The chop was too mushy and we were freezing it poorly. They still came out perfect though!

I researched a bunch more and managed to come up with a chop recipe that seemed a lot better, and we were providing a lot more fruits (but it's still really limited due to the food crisis in Australia unfortunately, we'll be getting around to mango season soon enough though.)

I've been frantically looking back at photos and unfortunately notice that the black feathers have started coming back around the time of the chop switch. I've been handling him less as well, I have no idea where to start.

His current chop recipe:

Kale
Broccoli
Pumpkin
Carrots
Brussel sprouts
Jalapeño peppers
Baby capsicums
Cauliflower
Bok choy
Snap peas
Uncooked steel cut oats (to soak up moisture)
Cooked quinoa
Cooked brown rice
Beetroot + fruit on the side.

He has bananas, apples, blueberries, passionfruit and pawpaw mixed in with his evening chop, and fresh shredding veggies throughout the day. Next time I definitely want to replace the quinoa.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong haha. We're currently living in a big tent in the middle of the bush, and have been doing so for over a year. We have it all sorted, everything is safe. But our financial situation definitely could be better, so I wanted to consult this group first before I book a visit with our avian vet.

He gets lots of outside time on his harness, and we have the 40 foot extension lead for the Aviator that we use for free flight.

Thank you so much for any help! The image on the left with him on the laptop was after his first moult. The one on the right with him on the bed was taken this morning.
1662335207160.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It’s bronzing on the feathers that you’re seeing, they don’t grow that way- they wear out that way.

Many times you’ll see it in feathers due to molt, highly touched or rubbed feathers. It’s nothing to be concerned about.

StarTrick

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Zoe
It’s bronzing on the feathers that you’re seeing, they don’t grow that way- they wear out that way.

Many times you’ll see it in feathers due to molt, highly touched or rubbed feathers. It’s nothing to be concerned about.
Oh my gosh you legend. I've gone through so many groups where people have suggested adding in more papaya or sprinkling in different seeds — or just saying that it looks fine without any explanation. Bronzing is the right term, thank you a ton.

I've been so stressed going over his diet and care :confused:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Sad to think that no one has known- it’s such a common thing.
Diet changes won’t help these feathers- they’re just old and worn out.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Agree with Shezbug. Kobe (Pionus) gets bronzing on the edges of his feathers if I handle him too much. Presumeably it is happening to Luca as you handle him whilst putting on and removing the harness. Try to keep your hands clean - the oils in our hands tend to make it worse. How great Luca gets to fly on a harness! :fly2: