• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Black Vultures feasting...Graphic pics warning!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I went out pic hunting yesterday and had some of my best luck ever! I came across a pair of Black Vultures feasting on a poor unfortune squirrel who got too close to the road. I was able to get within about 10 feet of them and they kept eating without seeming to be bothered by me. I took over 400 pics of them which let me tell ya it didn't seem like that lol but its true. Here's just a few of my favorites. I just love Black and Turkey Vutures so much. They are so underappreciated and often villainized but they are such a magnificent and special species and Im always so thankful when I come across some. They just look so huggable to me.

First I saw one of them perched on the light posts and got a few shots and left for a little bit to try to find the local Red Shouldered Hawk pair and when I came back he and his mate were on the kill.
Black vulture in the sun edited.jpg
Black vulture beak open edited.jpg
Black vulture nictitating membrane edited.jpg
Black vultures on kill pulling squrriel edited.jpg
Black vulture organs pulling edited.jpg

One of my best pics if I may say.
Black vulture lifting kill best pic edited.jpg
Black vulture rubbing lamp with foot up edited.jpg

black vultures on road best edited.jpg

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Beautiful pics :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Fantastic photos!

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Wow they are beautiful! I love birds of prey they are very fascinating! Thanks for sharing!! :xflove: :heart:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow they are beautiful! I love birds of prey they are very fascinating! Thanks for sharing!! :xflove: :heart:
Thanks for appreciating them! It makes me so happy when other folks love Vultures as well :)

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
That's awesome.

I used to work on the top floor of a 19-story business tower which had sliding glass doors to external patios and we could clearly watch the vultures do their thing.

... until the peregrine falcons decided they wanted to nest on the top of the building and the vultures were driven off.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's awesome.

I used to work on the top floor of a 19-story business tower which had sliding glass doors to external patios and we could clearly watch the vultures do their thing.

... until the peregrine falcons decided they wanted to nest on the top of the building and the vultures were driven off.
Thank you so much! Oh woah that must have been so amazing to witness that all the time. What a shame the Peregines drove them away though. Pity they couldn't share the space so you could have had the best of both worlds.