• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Black toe, please help! I'm losing my mind??

Parrotletl

Checking out the neighborhood
About a week ago I got a beautiful male parrotlet feom a breeder. I thought i had found a good breeder "Flybabies Aviary", however I am afraid I might have made a made the wrong choice.
The poor guy is sweet but not at all ajdusted to my presence, he will accept millet from my hands but is not comfortable enough yet to step up.
When I bought him I was informed that he had a missing nail/or toe (he still cost over $600 with shipping), but reguardless of price I am horrified about one of his toes. He is partially missing a nail on one toe but what has be super concerned is his toe that looks almost black at the tip. It has been like that nice he arrived. At first Flybabies Allen and Linda told me to not to be concerned and that he is healthy but it just doesn't look normal to me. I have tried to contact them seceral times this week. They told me to send them pictures but every time I try and email them all the pictures I recieve an automatic no-response email that says their mail box is full...how is an email box full?? I'm so angry with them and I feel so alone in this issue. I am SO worried and have so many unanswered questions. Do I need to take him to an emergency avian vet thats is open?? Will it fall off? Is he in pain? What can I do to help this little guy?
I already love him and can't bare the thought of him dying from this. He keeps his foot raised mainly when hes napping but he switches it up. In the pictures I've attached he is just holding it out unlike how he usually keeps it. He is eating healthy(I've even got him to start eating veggies...although he yells for his seed/pellet mix after a few bites of veggies), drinking water, pretty active (does nap pretty often tho, or just sits chirpping quietly until I talk to him). Hes a chirpy little chatterbox

I'd say he keeps his foot lifted up like that for a few minutes a day, whenever he does I take pictures.

Any info would be so greatly appreciated, I'm freaking out. I've been searching so many forums and sites and cant find much on black toes. I really do not have money right now to take him to the vet (I'm a full time student with no job currently due to Covid19, so these past few months have been tight) I refuse to be an irresponsible parront tho so if you guys suggest I take him to the vet I WILL take out a credit card or loan or whatever to get him there. I don't want him to die, I'd feel sick with myself. If I do have to take him to the vet, will he have a harder time than he is already when it comes to bonding with me? (He doesnt even trust me yet so I'm afraid a vet trip would trumatize him)

Please any advise on what can be done would be so amazing and I would be greatful.

Attachments

Parrotletl

Anyone please help. I am a new parrotlet owner. About a week ago I got a beautiful male parrotlet from a breeder. I thought I had found a good breeder "Flybabies Aviary", however I am afraid I might have made a made the wrong choice.
The poor guy is sweet but not at all ajdusted to my presence, he will accept millet from my hands but is not comfortable enough yet to step up.
When I bought him I was informed that he had a missing nail/or toe (he still cost over $600 with shipping), but reguardless of price I am horrified about one of his toes no that I'veseen it in person (when I bought him they discribed it as healed). He is partially missing a nail on one toe but what has be super concerned is another toe. His back toe looks almost black at the tip. It has been like that nice he arrived. At first Flybabies Allen and Linda told me to not to be concerned and that he is healthy but it just doesn't look normal to me. I have tried to contact them several times this week. They told me to send them pictures but every time I try and email them all the pictures I recieve an automatic no-response email that says their mail box is full...how is an email box full?? I'm so angry and I feel so alone in this issue. I am SO worried and have so many unanswered questions. Do I need to take him to an emergency avian vet thats is open?? Will it fall off? Is he in pain? What can I do to help this little guy?
I already love him and can't bare the thought of him dying from this. He keeps his foot raised mainly when hes napping but he switches it up. In the pictures I've attached he is just holding it out unlike how he usually keeps it. He is eating healthy(I've even got him to start eating veggies...although he yells for his seed/pellet mix after a few bites of veggies), drinking water, pretty active (does nap pretty often tho, or just sits chirpping quietly until I talk to him). Hes a chirpy little chatterbox.

I'd say he keeps his foot lifted up like that for a few minutes a day, whenever he does I take pictures.
The last photo with his back facing the camera and his head turned is from last week right after he arrived home. The first 3 photos were taken today.

Any info would be so greatly appreciated, I'm freaking out. I've been searching so many forums and sites and can't find much on black toes. I really do not have money right now to take him to the vet (I'm a full time student with no job currently due to Covid19, so these past few months have been tight) I refuse to be an irresponsible parront tho so if you guys suggest I take him to the vet I WILL take out a credit card or loan or whatever to get him there. I don't want him to die, I'd feel sick with myself. If I do have to take him to the vet, will he have a harder time than he is already when it comes to bonding with me? (He doesnt even trust me yet so I'm afraid a vet trip would trumatize him)

Please any advise on what can be done would be so amazing and I would be greatful.

Attachments

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
$600 dollars for a parrotlet???
America is expensive!

@finchly hope you can help here

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello,
I'm sorry about your financial situation however I would recommend a vet visit. The toe could be necrotic.
As for the emotional trauma, best to go to the vet and get it over with then once he's better start work on bonding, birds can be forgiving and he will be more friendly if he's not in pain, which he may be in at the moment.
Just my thoughts, I'm sure other will give advice too.

Parrotletl

Hello,
I'm sorry about your financial situation however I would recommend a vet visit. The toe could be necrotic.
As for the emotional trauma, best to go to the vet and get it over with then once he's better start work on bonding, birds can be forgiving and he will be more friendly if he's not in pain, which he may be in at the moment.
Just my thoughts, I'm sure other will give advice too.

Okay such a bummer, I guess I need to start looking for a vet that is open right now in my area, thank you

Parrotletl

How much money should I be expecting to take out for a toe amputation?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It varies greatly based on your location, sadly. My vet costs $90 just to get a wellness check. If you can, check out CareCredit which can be used at vets. What is CareCredit? | CareCredit

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Agred with the others. A black toe is not normal, and indicates that there isn't a healthy blood supply to the area. The fact he's holding it away from himself does suggest that it's painful. This is not something that you can fix yourself, and he really does need to see a vet.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about your parrotlet. Keep sending email to that Aviary and call. I have a feeling the baby was bit by a sibling or by the parents. I wouldn't be concerned about the missing toenail but would be concerned about the blackened area on the other toe. If the baby arrived with the toe like that I would assume the breeder saw it. The breeder sent the baby with an issue and this should have been checked by a vet before that baby was shipped to you. Take the bird to the vet and let that breeder know the results of the examination.
If you need to find a vet let us know your approximate location and perhaps members can recommend one or do a search here: