• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Black streaking on Piper's beak

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Hi guys.

The last week or so, I've really noticed black streaking on the top of Piper's beak. She didn't have this before, so I'm concerned about it being an indication of an issue that I need to have a vet address.

For the record, she's DNA'd female and will be four years old in spring. She's currently on a diet of Zupreem Naturals and Roudybush Daily Maintenance, Zupreem Pure Fun for enrichment, and she gets Bodacious Birdie Bites chop and sprouted seeds.

Here's a good before picture of her beak:

And this is a picture of her today:

Her last vet visit was a year ago. She had bloodwork and a fecal done with no issues detected. She is behaving 100% normally - eating, pooping, flying around, and being her usual obnoxious self.

The only recent change is that she's taken a keen interest in chewing up wood lately. She will go through a toy strung with 15-20 pieces of 1"x2"x1/4" pine in a few hours. I give her a new one each day.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@Monica ?

The only thing I find when looking is mislabeled Indian Ringnecks being African Ringnecks instead!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I can't say it's a cause for concern, but it does seem unusual. I don't know if that could be a sign of hybridization, bruising or otherwise.

At minimum, as long as she's acting fine, probably just keep an eye on it and bring it up to the vet the next time you go.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
@Monica Thanks, I figured a wait-and-see approach would probably be best for now. The nearest avian vet is about an hour away so I'd rather not stress her out unless it's necessary. We'll keep our peepers on her.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What nice pics! I've seen this on pics/videos of IRN's but I'm not clear about it happing.

@fashionfobie Any thoughts?

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know what it is, but one of my friends from the rescue has a bird with the exact same thing. She's had a full vet workup with no issues found and the vet didn't know what to make of it either.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Looks very much like when Jasper gets a bruise on her beak. They finally grow out, but it takes a long time. See the little dark spot in Hank's beak in picture to the left? That was there when I got him and was still there 15 years later when he died.

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I think it looks like a bruise also. Sometimes, my caique gets startled and flies a bit out-of-control and bangs into something, and ends up with a mark on her beak that looks similar. They take a long time to grow out. At this point, I wouldn't worry but keep an eye on the spot and watch for changes in her behavior.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Thanks, everyone! I agree that it looks very much like a bruise, but I can't say I know where she would have gotten it. No impacts or anything like that. The only change recently is her voracious chewing, and I don't think that just chewing a ton of wood would cause that kind of bruising.

@Monaco - She's a.. derpy bather:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'd be happy to see my own ARN take a drink! Bath? Pfft! Not happening! LOL

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I agree that it could be a bruise. It will be easier to tell if it grows out.

Pi had a pretty gnarly bruise from a crash. He ate and behaved normally so it was just a waiting game for it to grow out. I will share a few photos of his progress with the bruise to give you an idea.

The start

IMG_5920.JPG

Starting to grow out

IMG_6157.JPG

Poor little guy

IMG_6438.JPG

It went through some pretty painful looking stages, but it didn't seem to bother him.

IMG_6573.JPG

A more recent photo, full recovery :D

IMG_7764.JPG

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@fashionfobie How long did it take for Pi's to grow out?

I'm just a fretful parront, I guess. Any little blemish or imperfection and I'm freaking out thinking I'm a terrible birdmom. D:

Oh I am fretful too! You are not alone in that :) It took a long while, I think nearly 7 months.