• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Black Spot on Conures Beak

McFly

Moving in
Real Name
Jessica
Hello there.

We noticed this spot on my pineapple green cheek’s (Marty McFly) beak recently. It looks like a bruise that’s growing out, but it’s kinda lumpy. We are very worried. He acts fine otherwise. His beak and nails are growing at a normal rate. He’s about 2 years old, and I don’t think he’s overweight. He eats a conure diet from petco...he does not eat his fruits and veggies. He just won’t. If they’re offered, he will let them shrivel until we throw them away. Because of this we give him a multivitamin. My daughter says he has flown into our bathroom mirror. I’ve been waiting a couple days to see how it looks when it grows out but I’m worried. Any advice or suggestions would be awesome, we do love him quite a bit.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
:bump7:

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I would take him to the vet to get that checked out. Did a vet prescribe the multivitamin you are giving him? What kind of vitamin is it?

@webchirp Have you seen that on a beak before?

He is ohhhh so cute by the way.:heart:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I’ve never seen anything like that before. Vet trip...crushed nutriberries are a very good start to getting him off seed.

He is adorable.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Is the lump hard or soft?

What is the "conure diet"? Pellets can be healthier than seeds.

Perhaps you need some ideas on how to get him eating a more varied diet?

McFly

Moving in
Real Name
Jessica
It’s hard. He has a vet appt. on the 20th. He’s now on a mixture of zupreem pasta blend and zupreem natural with nutriberries here and there. Trying to keep offering fresh stuff daily but might be a while before he takes to it. I’ll update once we find out more on the 20th.... can anyone suggest a good multi vite for conures? I was using Vita Sol but perhaps he needs something better. Wondering what everyone else uses. OH and we’re going to finally be able to find out if Marty is a boy or girl! Super exciting. :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
A lot of people here don't feed vitamins because our birds are already on a varied diet and adding vitamins would cause more harm than good. If they aren't on a varied diet, then they are being switched to a varied diet. As such, it's hard to recommend something!

Since your guy (or gal) is already eating Zupreem and Nutriberries, I cannot recommend adding vitamins as you could accidentally overdose your bird on vitamins and cause more harm than good. Vitamins are primarily for birds who are eating a seed only diet or those who simply need a boost in one vitamin or another despite being on a healthy diet. (only a vet could tell you what they are lacking)

PburghsMom

Meeting neighbors
It’s hard. He has a vet appt. on the 20th. He’s now on a mixture of zupreem pasta blend and zupreem natural with nutriberries here and there. Trying to keep offering fresh stuff daily but might be a while before he takes to it. I’ll update once we find out more on the 20th.... can anyone suggest a good multi vite for conures? I was using Vita Sol but perhaps he needs something better. Wondering what everyone else uses. OH and we’re going to finally be able to find out if Marty is a boy or girl! Super exciting. :)
I hope the Vet visit is good

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
That is not something I've seen before either, but I am wondering if perhaps it is due to the "flying into mirror" incident. But as others have pointed out, only a vet could tell. It seems like the vet visit is today, so best of luck and I think we would all appreciate an update when you get a chance! All the best and hopefully it's nothing too serious. :heart:

McFly

Moving in
Real Name
Jessica
Sorry I forgot to update...just a deep tissue bruise! I was so relieved! And he was so nice to his vet! We also got his feathers sent off yesterday and we’ll finally get to know if we have a Marty McFly or a Martina McBride LOL. Nah he/she will always be Marty no matter what.

PburghsMom

Meeting neighbors
Sorry I forgot to update...just a deep tissue bruise! I was so relieved! And he was so nice to his vet! We also got his feathers sent off yesterday and we’ll finally get to know if we have a Marty McFly or a Martina McBride LOL. Nah he/she will always be Marty no matter what.
Great to hear the visit turned out ok. How would the bruise happen did they say? Feathers? They can find that out with feathers instead of blood?

McFly

Moving in
Real Name
Jessica
He is not clipped so we think he flew in to my bathroom mirror. I have twin 13 year old girls who adore him and tote him around everywhere. That’s what they said had happened, but I thought it’d be better to be safe than sorry and get him checked out. They are no longer allowed to take him in to my bedroom.

But yes I learned they can test with just feathers. I guess they can scrape tissue samples off them somehow? We sent off 6 small breast feathers that she gently plucked (he didn’t even notice) to a place in Florida she suggested called avianbiotech.com. Super simple and only 24.50. We should know shortly.....then we will be working on getting him/her a friend named “Delorean” LOL.

PburghsMom

Meeting neighbors
He is not clipped so we think he flew in to my bathroom mirror. I have twin 13 year old girls who adore him and tote him around everywhere. That’s what they said had happened, but I thought it’d be better to be safe than sorry and get him checked out. They are no longer allowed to take him in to my bedroom.

But yes I learned they can test with just feathers. I guess they can scrape tissue samples off them somehow? We sent off 6 small breast feathers that she gently plucked (he didn’t even notice) to a place in Florida she suggested called avianbiotech.com. Super simple and only 24.50. We should know shortly.....then we will be working on getting him/her a friend named “Delorean” LOL.
Oh poor birdie. I’m happy your GCC is ok. That’s great to know about the feathers I wish I would have known. LOL LOL Delorean LOL. Let me know what your results are.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica

McFly

Moving in
Real Name
Jessica
I assume she is a cinnamon GCC would you say that's right? We do plan on breeding in our future. I'd like to find a turquoise male.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I assume she is a cinnamon GCC would you say that's right? We do plan on breeding in our future. I'd like to find a turquoise male.
Cinnamons have light beaks. Your bird has a dark beak. This indicates dilute. :) (foot color can also be an indication, but I do notice that she has somewhat light feet - but not quite as light as a cinnamons)

The following page has great comparison photos of dilute vs pineapple and dilute vs cinnamon.

Since you mentioned breeding her, and you are specifically interested in a turquoise male... if there are no splits, all of your offspring will be normal green cheeks. All will be split dilute and turquoise.

Do you have any experience breeding parrots by any chance?