• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Black poop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

coral

Walking the driveway
Real Name
coral
Do you guys think she'll start eating soon? :confused:

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
I'm sorry :( Please hang in there! :hug8: Wait for the results and then see what the vet has to say! - I know it's hard but until they are back anything else is just guess work

In the mean time she's being looked after and you are a good parront for taking her in and giving her the chance of a healthier life!

We're here for you! ...

Sending HEALING THOUGHTS and POSITIVE ENERGY for Mikko! Come on, sweet girl, start eating and drinking! You can do it!!!

:hug8::hug8::hug8:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I hope Mikko is feeling better soon and the tests results give you some answers. Thinking of you two :hug8:

coral

Walking the driveway
Real Name
coral
Thanks everyone! Mikko ate hash browns today! I'm so excited she ate! The blood tests are in should be getting a call soon lets hope for the best!!

coral

Walking the driveway
Real Name
coral
everyone i just want to let you know my mikko girl is home! she is eating and shes on 2 types of meds. turns out she has a liver problem but is okay!

deee

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
everyone i just want to let you know my mikko girl is home! she is eating and shes on 2 types of meds. turns out she has a liver problem but is okay!
Thank goodness shes improving!! :)

coral

Walking the driveway
Real Name
coral
Thank you again everyone for all your support and ill keep you updated on how shes doing! today shes been eating! yayayayay! shes mad at me cuz i had to towel her to give her the medicine :lol:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

QP4CAG

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lindsay
Awwww just seeing this... Sooo glad she's doing better, and u as well!! Big Hugs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ohhhh!!! What WONDERFUL news that she's home and eating - Thank Heavens!!! :hug8:

Once again, with liver problems - Please do look into giving her Milk Thistle! It is amazing how much it supports the liver to regenerate and heal itself!

You know, it actually sounds to me as if she came to you JUST in the nick of time so that she can get the proper diet and vet care she needed!!!

Thank you once again for giving her the home she deserves!!!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
So glad to hear you've figured it out and that she's home and doing ok! :hug8:

coral

Walking the driveway
Real Name
coral
featherbaby what is milk thistle, where do you get it, and how do you give it to the fids? :confused: And thank you again everyone you have been such a huge help!!:hug8:

Skyler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
:dance4::dance4::dance4: So glad she's better

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
featherbaby what is milk thistle, where do you get it, and how do you give it to the fids? :confused: And thank you again everyone you have been such a huge help!!:hug8:
Milk thistle is a herb ... actually, it's quite a common garden 'weed'. I believe many feed the seeds which apparently contain the highest concentration of the 'healing' properties. Milk thistle also available in health shops as capsules (powder) or a tincture (make sure it's non-alcoholic) and it can also be fed fresh.

To be honest, I'm not sure which option/dosis is the best for therapeutic purposes when liver problems are present, I'm hoping others might be able to answer that. I'm feeding some fresh leaves as I find them in my garden just as a preventative healthy food.

However, seeing that Mikko is used to eating seeds it may be the easiest way to get her to eat them, either dry or, if she'll eat them, I'd say sprouted would be even better.

There are a number of threads on AA about milk thistle, one of the most recent here:
http://forums.avianavenue.com/holistic-avenue/65301-milk-thistle-questions.html#post1025211

More info in this sticky thread post by BF (scroll down a bit):
http://forums.avianavenue.com/holis...ood-herbal-remedies-keep-hand.html#post904912

Another one here:
http://forums.avianavenue.com/healthy-highway/18184-milk-thistle-seeds-can-they-od.html

More ideas for liver problems here (also includes milk thistle):
http://forums.avianavenue.com/holistic-avenue/19352-liver-problem-question.html

And maybe you can find where best to get the seeds in the US in this thread although it's a bit of an older thread so maybe other US members who use it will chime in:
http://forums.avianavenue.com/holistic-avenue/22020-good-place-buy-milk-thistle-seeds.html

There are more threads if you want to do a search yourself.

BTW, of course, this is not meant to replace the meds she's on (maybe you should actually check if they don't already contain milk thistle) but it's meant as a *supportive* supplement.

If you have any more questions about it, perhaps post a new thread in the Holistic Avenue or Healthy Highway to get more people who have experience treating birds with milk thistle to respond.

My personal knowledge is actually from human treatment with milk thistle ... my late husband had chronic liver disease among other alcohol related illnesses and the milk thistle helped amazingly well to keep his liver cirrhosis under control for a looong time (TWO decades!!!) despite his continued alcoholism.
I know that it was the milk thistle because every time he stopped taking it for a few months, his bad liver blood count would go through the roof and when he started taking it again they came down again to near normal after just a few weeks. He eventually died of other illness with the liver still functioning fairly well. I truly believe he wouldn't have lived anywhere near that long without taking the milk thistle!

Last edited:

coral

Walking the driveway
Real Name
coral
thank you for all the information i will look into it! and im so sorry to hear about your husband :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.