• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Black poop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

coral

Walking the driveway
Real Name
coral
what does it mean that mikkos poop is black? im so worried! were going to the vet in an hour though! what should i do?? im so worried about her!:(

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Has she eaten anything that could turn her poop that color? Are you sure it is black and not a dark green? Has she eaten dark greens or colored pellets? And is it just one poop that has been black?

Dark greenish/black poop could be a symptom of liver disease. Please keep us updated, hope it is just something she has eaten. :hug8:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Can you get a picture? Usually it's something they ate...pellets, blueberries, dark greens, etc. If it's a dark brown and your bird hasn't eaten any of these things, I'd be worried about blood in the stool and would go to a vet ASAP.

coral

Walking the driveway
Real Name
coral
just dropped her off at the vet.. wish us luck please.. and all she has to eat is the seed mix she is used to so i dont think it could turn it black and ill post a picture

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Oh, boy--at least she's in the right place, right? And this is a vet you know & trust, right? I'm going to watch here for updates. Will be thinking of you & Mikko, &
wishing you both the very best of care.
:hug8::heart::hug8:

Last edited:

coral

Walking the driveway
Real Name
coral
Thanks you guys, and yes shes with the best vet i know. shes saved so many of my animals lives weve been taking them to her for over 10 years. Thank you again everyone!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
It's hard to tell from the picture but if you haven't made any dietary changes, I think it's wise to get her to the vet. Make sure they run an occult blood test or test for blood in the stool. It could be a number of things. This is what happened to Taco though, he had major amounts of blood in his stool, it was more of a dark brown and was runny. It was because of the breakdown of his intestinal walls from the e. Coli from what I understand.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Hoping your faby will be alright. :sadhug2:

coral

Walking the driveway
Real Name
coral
shes at the vet right now they should be calling soon thanks again you guys ill keep you updated!

Nelson & Gang

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
Black berries can cause poop that color.

I did experience this about 9 yrs ago w/ my U2 Nelson. It was blood in the stool which was caused by a small splinter of wood that had lodged in his crop (freak accident according to the vet) and had to be removed scopicly. He didn’t want to eat or drink anything.

Hope everything works out & is OK. Keep us posted.
:hug8:

coral

Walking the driveway
Real Name
coral
she hasnt had any thing other then seed (i dont think shes even been eating or drinking) i didnt want to add stress by introducing new things when it was only her first few days here but i know black poop can be bad so i took her to the vet. i took her in as an emergency at 8:30 am its now 1:50pm and i still havnt got a call. my vet was in surgery with another patient when i called so i understand why im waiting its just driving me crazy not knowing whats going on! :sad8:

coral

Walking the driveway
Real Name
coral
just got a call! okay so she said mikko is in an incubator and shes looking kinda sick not responding to food so their gonna run some tests treat her for gasterol upset, and give her anti acid and run blood tests. she said its probably because of stress of changing homes but i dont wanna take any chance and their also going to tube feed her :( my poor girl!

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor Coral! I will keep her in my prayers! She will be OK! :hug8:

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Poor baby--please keep us updated, Your bird is getting taken care of--make sure you take good care of yourself, too.:hug8:

coral

Walking the driveway
Real Name
coral
Thanks so much you guys ill keep you updated whenever i get updates from the vet! :hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Sending prayers for a full recovery. :sadhug2:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Paula

Walking the driveway
Sounds as though she's getting comprehensive care, which is excellent. :) Keeping fingers crossed that it's just a fluke from being stressed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.