• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Black mold issue

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I went on a trip to visit family for two weeks and came back to my home which now has a bathroom with black dusty stuff under the toilet bowl tank, black and brown gunk in the toilet bowl tank, some black mold on the ceiling and in the shower. I have no idea how to clean it, and the landlord said he will only remove the ceiling mold as the paint is falling off as well. He said the gunk in the toilet tank and under the toilet tank was just dirt.

I do not believe him. I tried pouring two capfuls of bleach into the toilet bowl tank which didn’t do much. I tried scrubbing the shower walls with bleach and magic eraser and not much disappeared. I think it soaked into the caulking or something.

I have a disability and cannot afford to move out easily. I have been trying to move for the past 6 months.

how can I try to keep the bathroom safe for myself and my cockatiel? I have some f10 but I never used it before, and I don’t know how long it takes for the bleach to leave the toilet tank.

Will my cockatiel be ok with the bathroom door shut until this issue is fixed?

Attachments

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I also cannot afford a lawyer etc. I live in Canada. The Apartment building was built in 1940 during world war 2 as a base for Americans.
221D6D83-21C4-45E0-A006-D3E1771BF9EC.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
On your toilet cistern and tile you should be able to clean it off and kill any spores fairly easily with a nice strong solution of bleach (keep the place well ventilated or ideally move your bird out to a neighbours while you are using bleach)- apply and leave for a few minutes then wipe off with a rag you can bin.
If your landlord will paint (again keep your bird out of the paint fumes) then that is great but while you wait the F10SC mixed at the strongest solution will keep the mold from spreading or dropping spores.
I sprayed ours (from a bad roof leak during a bad storm which drenched our plaster ceiling) daily, which was likely overkill but I was paranoid, with nice strong solution of F10 and made sure there was plenty of ventilation to allow it to dry properly to stop the perfect conditions for mold growth

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I need to leave my home for a while after I clean the bathroom, as my eyes are too sensitive. Any idea how long it takes for F10SC to settle after spraying? Also, my bottle says it expired 2018, is it no longer useable?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Mold can be dead and still stain. Bleach may inactivate it but you'll need to get in there with something abrasive like baking soda to get it off. the grout may always look dingy.

I would contact F10 and ask. I remember hearing there was some legal stuff about how it was actually useable beyond the listed date, but FDA rules for their product type interfered somehow?

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Mold can be dead and still stain. Bleach may inactivate it but you'll need to get in there with something abrasive like baking soda to get it off. the grout may always look dingy.

I would contact F10 and ask. I remember hearing there was some legal stuff about how it was actually useable beyond the listed date, but FDA rules for their product type interfered somehow.
Thanks a lot for the information. A neighbor said the mold on the ceiling might be dead and not "sporing". I am just so anxious about this. I have to wait until the weekend to do the cleanup and bring my parrot to my mom's as she is just getting over covid. Then I'll stay with mom until a few days after the landlord paints the ceiling. I don't have a big travel cage, so hopefully Alsing is not too much of a handful being out of the cage in a new environment for 4-6 days. She is not going to like sleeping in her travel cage, lol.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara

I would contact F10 and ask. I remember hearing there was some legal stuff about how it was actually useable beyond the listed date, but FDA rules for their product type interfered somehow?
F10 wouldn’t respond to me. I tried email and phone. Today I need to clean the toilet bowl and was wondering, is it safe to use magic eraser then f10 without rinsing the magic eraser area? I always thought magic eraser contained bleach.