• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

SALE Black Friday Sale at Seriously Nutz

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Opening my horizons. Yes, I don't usually look for toys. I have made them but my guys don't have much interest in chewing or I have just not given them something they want to chew.

I have a Hawkhead & a Crimson Bellied Conure as per my sig.

Penny has been whittling a bit on her dragon wood.

I might take you up on that help... :think1:
It's always a balance between what they like and what you like.

Every macaw in the world would love a toy with 500 pieces of 1/4" pine wood. :laugh: When I throw a bunch in toy buckets my birds look at me like "I'm the strongest coolest thing in the world you know". :rolleyes: Me on the other hand ..... I am not going to cut drill sand and dye ( in a customers case PAY ) for a toy that is going to last five minutes. Not going to happen. So, it's a always a balance between what they want to chew and what you are willing to buy.

Some customers email me saying that the bird loved the toy so much they chewed it in one day and need 10 more. Some customers only love toys that last a month or better. Me, I want a good mixture. I like to hear them quickly snapping away at easy wood but I also want toys around to last when the fun easy stuff is gone.

If you have
"don't have much interest in chewing"
You are not going to go hardwood or thick pine. If you know you are a step over balsa then you start with 1/4" pine. If you want to be a little brave you get the puzzling pieces and do a mix of 1/4" and 3/8". My 1/2" pine wood is super nice. A good toy to try both 1/4" and 1/2" is brink of disaster. A step up again and I would try Pop More Corks. If your 50% sure you have a tough guy you get tremendous intentions or candy dots. If your bird is 100% sure he is a tough guy and you are at least 70% sure he is right.... you get busy blocks. :laugh:

If you are not really familiar with our wood don't go crazy with huge thick hardwood toys.... Remember we own macaws. ;)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's always a balance between what they like and what you like.

Every macaw in the world would love a toy with 500 pieces of 1/4" pine wood. :laugh: When I throw a bunch in toy buckets my birds look at me like "I'm the strongest coolest thing in the world you know". :rolleyes: Me on the other hand ..... I am not going to cut drill sand and dye ( in a customers case PAY ) for a toy that is going to last five minutes. Not going to happen. So, it's a always a balance between what they want to chew and what you are willing to buy.

Some customers email me saying that the bird loved the toy so much they chewed it in one day and need 10 more. Some customers only love toys that last a month or better. Me, I want a good mixture. I like to hear them quickly snapping away at easy wood but I also want toys around to last when the fun easy stuff is gone.
That's exactly how I am,I like a good mix that way he's stimulated either way with stuff that will only last him a day or so or others like Pine Palooza that will last him weeks but he keeps going back to it for a challenge!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
That's exactly how I am,I like a good mix that way he's stimulated either way with stuff that will only last him a day or so or others like Pine Palooza that will last him weeks but he keeps going back to it for a challenge!
Absolutely. I try to make "graduate" toys so you can test abilities without the entire toy being too big or small. Wacky wafers or mini munchies is a step up from balsa. Half the toy is balsa and the other half is tougher wood. I have lots of graduate toys as they work well in my toyboxes when I have new customers. ;)

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Absolutely. I try to make "graduate" toys so you can test abilities without the entire toy being too big or small. Wacky wafers or mini munchies is a step up from balsa. Half the toy is balsa and the other half is tougher wood. I have lots of graduate toys as they work well in my toyboxes when I have new customers. ;)
I love those types of toys! It's so helpful to get him introduced to slightly harder woods but still have the easier ones to keep him from getting frustrated and giving up.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sarah is awesome at finding that balance between budget and destruction. She helped me a lot testing Ripley's likes, dislikes, and abilities and now I know exactly what toys to get him because of it :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Sarah is awesome at finding that balance between budget and destruction. She helped me a lot testing Ripley's likes, dislikes, and abilities and now I know exactly what toys to get him because of it :)
Most bird owners don't want to be wood experts... We have enough to do! :laughin: As vendors we cut drill sand dye every single piece so we have no choice but to learn the strength and texture. I like changing someone's mind about what their bird is able to chew. They say they have no interest in toys... well, pet store shelf toys have been sitting there for forever getting harder and fading. It's no fun to try and pry pieces off two year old wood. ;)

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Most bird owners don't want to be wood experts... We have enough to do! :laughin: As vendors we cut drill sand dye every single piece so we have no choice but to learn the strength and texture. I like changing someone's mind about what their bird is able to chew. They say they have no interest in toys... well, pet store shelf toys have been sitting there for forever getting harder and fading. It's no fun to try and pry pieces off two year old wood. ;)
I always think that when I see those toys in the cages at a pet store and of course the birds can't chip them they must be hard as a rock. So it's like yeah they have toys but they are useless and only there as a decoration basically.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Macawnutz

Which chips off better? 1/4 inch pine or the basswood? I’m pretty sure mine really likes to chip chip chip away at the little planks. She enjoys the tinkle sound of the mess hitting the bottom tray.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
@Macawnutz

Which chips off better? 1/4 inch pine or the basswood? I’m pretty sure mine really likes to chip chip chip away at the little planks. She enjoys the tinkle sound of the mess hitting the bottom tray.
The basswood has a tighter grain and does tend to snap in smaller pieces then the pine. It's slightly harder then the pine but I don't think enough to make a difference in ability.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I love & appreciate wood & all its different qualities that it lends to enjoyment & function in our lives.
Still for destruction at the beak of our birds I guess it does not matter that much.
I understand we need wood sources that are economical & easy to replace.

I have my eyes on what I think is the perfect compromise.

I have paper, cardboard & carrot chewers here...Penny has not touched the 1/4 inch pine on her minisquerz...infact she has not even touched the skewer.

@Macawnutz

What time Friday starts for the sale? 12AM central time?

:think1: :bliss:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
The sale will start sometime tonight and runs through Monday.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Just Ordered!!! Thanks, @Macawnutz
And thank you for putting your AA name in the comments! Even when you know you should know the person sometimes you sit there stumped for a while. Sometimes I only know the bird names :laughin: then it gets REALLY hard.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Ordered last night! This is my first time buying your toys so I am excited!:D

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Ordered last night! This is my first time buying your toys so I am excited!:D
While I do have a pile of orders from last night ..... Nothing on my list is for budgies. :cautious::D ???? What am I missing? :laughin:

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
While I do have a pile of orders from last night ..... Nothing on my list is for budgies. :cautious::D ???? What am I missing? :laughin:
:hsh:;)I am not done Christmas shopping for them...