• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Black dots on legs

Zivatar

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
813297FE-3B50-4CAC-A197-50EDA150B59B.jpeg 3E1BF6E7-9C71-4375-B0CF-3219F315D543.jpeg I’m wondering if anyone has seen this before on a lovebird. I haven’t actually witnessed my lovebird scratching or biting his legs, but one of them is naked and has strange black dots on it; they look buried under the skin. I’m not sure if that’s just new feathers coming in or what. I wanted to check here before taking him to the vet because that trip can be so stressful. Besides the black dots, my lovebird seems fine. All other feathers are shiny and in good order and he has energy.

It’s hard to get pictures but I did my best. In the images you can see one dot but there are a few up the leg. If anyone could offer insight I would really appreciate it.

Zivatar

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
Actually I just took a better picture here it is 4A7597E0-C78D-4678-BA8E-CBD26D93A0FC.jpeg

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
From what I know it is perfectly normal! Both my lovies have darker ‘scales’ on their feet, my Avian vet has never Said anything about it so I just assumed it was normal:)

Zivatar

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
From what I know it is perfectly normal! Both my lovies have darker ‘scales’ on their feet, my Avian vet has never Said anything about it so I just assumed it was normal:)
Thank you for such a quick reply! I did a little more research & think maybe what I’m seeing is the vein, because the feathers haven’t come out of his leg yet?

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Thank you for such a quick reply! I did a little more research & think maybe what I’m seeing is the vein, because the feathers haven’t come out of his leg yet?
Oh wait I thought you meant the dark pink spot on his back right toe:shy::lol: But yes I think those are veins! That is normal too I think:)

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you sure it’s not blood from pulled feathers? I see dark spots of blood under the skin sometimes with pluckers. That’s just what it looks like to me.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Are you sure it’s not blood from pulled feathers? I see dark spots of blood under the skin sometimes with pluckers. That’s just what it looks like to me.
I was about to say this as well, that looks like tiny bits of blood from pulled feathers. Looks a bit "bald" as well.

First thing I would check is to make sure there aren't toys with something to get stuck on; sometimes if a bird gets stuck, they'll panic and try to free themselves, and usually injure themselves in the process. But this honestly looks like the feathers have been pulled out.

Zivatar

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
I was about to say this as well, that looks like tiny bits of blood from pulled feathers. Looks a bit "bald" as well.

First thing I would check is to make sure there aren't toys with something to get stuck on; sometimes if a bird gets stuck, they'll panic and try to free themselves, and usually injure themselves in the process. But this honestly looks like the feathers have been pulled out.
I will definitely check for that, thank you! It’s only the one leg that has problems with baldness and it seems like everytime he starts getting new leg feathers this is an issue. Do you think it could be dry skin making him want to pluck? Only ask because he doesn’t pluck anywhere else.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
If it were feathers growing in, they would be the same colour as the feathers in that area - in this case, yellow. The feather sheaths would also be a similar colour, white or yellow, so something that dark is likely not just new feathers growing in.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I will definitely check for that, thank you! It’s only the one leg that has problems with baldness and it seems like everytime he starts getting new leg feathers this is an issue. Do you think it could be dry skin making him want to pluck? Only ask because he doesn’t pluck anywhere else.
There are so many causes for plucking, it's difficult to pinpoint. 1st to check out is a medical issue; like a fungus irritating the skin. I know you don't want to have to go to the vet, but if it's something that can be treated, I would highly recommend doing so. Knowing the problem is half the battle.

In Sherbie's case, she grows multiple feathers from the same follicle. It's very itchy and unfortunately has no cure. She will most likely always have a ring around her neck/chest where she yanks out the offending feathers and neighboring feathers (due to irritation). Polyfolliculitis is common in Lovebirds, and can occur on various parts of the body; legs, near the cloaca, chest.

Zivatar

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
There are so many causes for plucking, it's difficult to pinpoint. 1st to check out is a medical issue; like a fungus irritating the skin. I know you don't want to have to go to the vet, but if it's something that can be treated, I would highly recommend doing so. Knowing the problem is half the battle.

In Sherbie's case, she grows multiple feathers from the same follicle. It's very itchy and unfortunately has no cure. She will most likely always have a ring around her neck/chest where she yanks out the offending feathers and neighboring feathers (due to irritation). Polyfolliculitis is common in Lovebirds, and can occur on various parts of the body; legs, near the cloaca, chest.
Understand. I do have an avian vet that is really great, it’s just the drive is long and scary for a bird, so I try to keep it to once a year as long as there’s no problems. But this is a reoccurring issue so for my own peace of mind I think i will take him just to be sure it isn’t something serious. Thank you for your replies!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Is it the drive that's scary, or the vet's office? Or both? Do you cover 3 sides of the travel cage, or do you leave all sides visible?

You might be able to kinda desensitize your bird to travel at least. My dog hated car rides, but we took short trips down the street and eventually they were no big deal to her. Sherbie disliked trips at first, but now she's used to it and only occasionally screams at a passing vehicle. Most of the time my birds are too busy stuffing their faces. My vet is a solid hour each way, usually longer since traffic is heavy.